I just bought a 3800 and downloaded QTR for making digital negatives.

I read through Ron Reeder's PDF on how to create your own profiles in QTR for digi negs. As far as I can tell I followed his instructions exactly and created a test profile and attempted to print his supplied step wedge on inkpress transparency. When I printed the first one, the ink was laid down FAR to thick and it would simply smear off. My first thought was I printed on the wrong side of the media, nope. (Also tried a sheet of OHP so I KNEW I had the right side, same thing happened). Then I thought it had to do with the media type under printer features. I tried transparencies and matte paper. Neither helped. Then I thought maybe it was because I was trying to use matte ink on a glossy surface, so I switched inks, that didn't help. I looked back to the profile text file and it looked ok to me, nothing was not set, or set too high (at least to my eye, I'm new at this). I reinstalled the profile and tried one more time. Same thing, ink puddles that smeared easily. I even tried an ordinary positive print on epson media using epson drivers just to rule out a problem with the printer. That print looks lovely. So if you've acctually read through all this crap and have any advice I would love to hear it.

Andy T.