Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: A Blog and discussion about that *$%%# elusive Swirly Bokeh!

Re: A Blog and discussion about that *$%%# elusive Swirly Bokeh!

That's a cool picture Jack. Looks like the lantern is bending the flowers in the background, something straight out of the Deathly Hallows (everyone has read that, right?).
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

Jack, thanks for the link and the photo. Interesting stuff. Now I guess it's just mastering the distance ratio of subject and back/foreground to induce the swirl.

I pay close attention to bokeh but don't shoot with these older lenses with the swirly-bokeh attribute. I own a modern lens that provides a swirl in certain situations. The lens is the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR, a current offering with "legend in it's own time" bokeh. This lens does not swirl bokeh as easily as your lenses, no doubt. When it does swirl bokeh it's always in images of highly detailed midground subjects. I've noticed the same with your vintage swirly-bokeh lenses - they swirl bokeh when the subject is midground and highly detailed. There is a beautiful picture of an African girl on one of Jim's lens threads - to my eye, the upper left swirls because the midground subject is highly detail (tree branches); other areas in the photo don't swirl and they don't meet the detailed midground criterium.

As a final thought I offer this last portrait. Having understood where the swirly effect happens I purposely defocused the lens so that it would have maximum swirl if you will at the plane of focus where there were a lot of black eyed susan bushes with flowers. Then I placed Dakota in the plane of sharp focus to achieve the garden portrait with swirly background. Everything you see was in control with one glaring exception. I botched the exposure and the neg is thin as can be. Still it proves the concept that if a swirly background is desired, it can be planned and executed.

Dakota

Jim,

I really like this shot!

Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    As a final thought I offer this last portrait. Having understood where the swirly effect happens I purposely defocused the lens so that it would have maximum swirl if you will at the plane of focus where there were a lot of black eyed susan bushes with flowers. Then I placed Dakota in the plane of sharp focus to achieve the garden portrait with swirly background. Everything you see was in control with one glaring exception. I botched the exposure and the neg is thin as can be. Still it proves the concept that if a swirly background is desired, it can be planned and executed.

Dakota
    Thin neg or not, that is a damn fine portrait!
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Here's some Bokeh on still lifes...

First is a 180mm Macro sironar, the second is the 300mm Macro Sironar, no swirlies though, maybe macro distances don't allow them...
    Last edited by Brian K; 27-Nov-2011 at 23:12.

Jim, amazing photo and beautiful swirl. Very 3d and surreal.

Ya want swirly bokeh, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
    Here's some Bokeh on still lifes...

First is a 180mm Macro sironar, the second is the 300mm Macro Sironar, no swirlies though, maybe macro distances don't allow them...
    Um, Brian, what do images of an octagonal diaphragm due to internal reflections of out-of-focus highlights have to do with the swirlies? And what good is multi-coating, anyway?

Cheers,

Dan