My plans were for some night shots with a 5x7 & aero-ektar, but my kludge mount was too fragile so the night shoot became a day shoot with the 8x10 (luckily I had five holders already loaded with FP-4+ and a 19" Artar which badly needed to go out to play) I packed everything up in a light colored Rubbernaid Rough Neck plastic bin with a snap on lid since the Igloo was already packed for a different format. I left early this morning and headed over Tioga Pass with some delicious looking dark clouds overhead. After lunch at the Whoa Nellie Deli (I had the cheeseburger---I should have ordered the lobster taquitos and mango margarita but I had a lot of driving left to do ) I thought I'd shoot some of the hanging valleys with pocket glaciers on the South side of Lee Vining Canyon and maybe a bit of the Hall Preservation Area. There was a breeze, but not a bad one coming down the canyon so I set up next to the truck, using it as a wind break. I set up, focused on the gg, closed the shutter and reached for a film holder (old black Kodak woodies with metal tops) and.....ouch!
These things were too hot to handle! Now it wasn't that hot at 8,000'----it certainly wasn't hot enough to be uncomfortable to touch the sheet metal on the truck so I'm wondering if it is the plastic box thats the problem? Being light colored, it should (according to AA no less) reflect heat. FWIW the Rough Neck rode on the passenger seat exposed to the sun (just as I was in the driver's seat)
I'm going back to using an Igloo cooler for a "camera bag."