Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking

Re: Backpacking

Bruce at photobackpacker.com can make custom "camera enclosure" for any camera and any backpack. He made the enclosure for my Sinar F2. It fits well into The North Face Oryx backpack. I carry the F2, two-three lenses, 6-8 holders and other stuff you would normally take: meter, dark cloth, filters, tripod etc. Very comfortable. Even on the 10 miles hike in Canyonlands in 110 heat I did recently. The only issue is that if change the back to 5x7 P rear standard I have to carry the camera in hand. It would not fit into the backpack.
    Bruce's stuff is really good, specialy if you look how heavy are dedicated photo backpacks.
    Jan

I have already placed my order with Bruce. The pack should be here any day now. He was great to work with - a real pleasure. My thanks to those that passed along his name - and to all of the others that were kind enough to share experiences, ideas and knowledge. I'm certian that what I have gained from my original post will make my future backpacking trips far more plesant and productive. Thank goodness I found this forum!

J V McLure

Quote Originally Posted by riooso View Post
    I pack in. My total weight including 4X5 Toyo (5.8lbs), 90mm,150mm,240mm, 5 filters, 4 film holders, changing tent without poles, light meter, cables, loupe, dark cloth, and tripod with head is 18 pounds. I could lighten it by going to a carbon or wood camera. I am only 5 foot, 7 inches and a 4 day pack in is 55 pounds with everything including water. That means that everything but the camera stuff is 37 pounds. If someone could tell be how to get lighter bring it on. Go to a real internal frame pack. My backpacking life is hard but it is the only way for me to get the images that I want.

One note; make a lexan plate that fits over your ground glass and put velcro on it to hold it into place. Adds a little weight but a 1/8" piece of lexan is really good protection.

You will love it,
    Richard Adams
    With some work you should be able to get your non-camera backpacking gear down to something like 10-12 lbs, dry weight. Food and water are extra. Food typically weighs a pound a day per person and water gets filtered as you need it. Try googling ultra-light weight backpacking for some ideas on how to do this. Also, check on Ray Jardine's book "Beyond Backpacking" for an idea of how to go really light weight.

Roughly what you do is have a two pound tent, a two pound sleeping bag, a two pound pack, a one pound pad and 3-5 pounds for a butane/propane gas stove, Titanium pot, water filter or drops, a warmth layer and rain gear. You bring one set of clothes, wear them until they really stink and then wash and dry them while you are in camp. The basic goal is to make everything you bring do double duty. For example, a tripod can serve as a tent pole for a tarptent, raincoat for a darkcloth, a lens as a loupe, etc. For camera gear, the lightest is quickloads and a fuji holder. Photobackpacker makes good, lightweight cases for the camera and lenses. Buy a postal scale, weigh everything, keep a spreadsheet and be brutal about what you really need to enjoy yourself while backpacking. If you bring something, don't use it on a trip, leave it home next time. After a while you can get pretty happy without a lot of gear. When your pack gets light, you can go farther, faster and need less food to go where you want to in order to take pictures. Also, as you carry less, your boots can become trail running shoes, not heavy boots and you have saved weight there. Lighter boots mean easier to walk further, etc. It all feeds back on itself.
    Good luck,
    Dave B.

Rio Oso shooter

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for the tips. I have done exactly what you suggested for every trip but can not really below 24 pounds dry. 2.5 liters weight 6 lbs, and food for 3 days including some extra is another 6 pounds which put me at 36. I hike a lot in places in California which do not always have water available thus the 2.5 liters. I am also helping my wife hike in so the 24 pounds could be dropped to about 18 if I was alone. I really like my 3 pound tent after getting stuck in a freak snow storm in Sierra's last year for 2 days. I can not go as "naked" as I would like but appreciate your outlook. When going by myself I often get really down in weight. My biggest problem is the 18 pounds of camera gear. I bought mostly lightweight lenses like the Fuji 240 lens and a carbon pod that is just heavy enough for the camera.

Thanks,
    Richard Adams

You can even push things beyond David B's suggestion. A good place for information is Backpackinglight: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...ght/index.html.

Because of the weight of our equipment as nature and landscape photographers (most of mine for 4 X 5 weighs between 15 to 20+ pounds), I personally have opted for a custom made panel loading McHale pack. I am not suggesting that you go that far. These are very expensive. Mine was about $800??? and weighs about 5 1/2 pounds. But a good backpacking backpack with a good suspension system and waist belt are important.

You can get the weight of the other big 2 down well beyond David's recommendation. As an example for warmer conditions (not much snow load) I have a 25 oz type of tent (hiking pole is used as the pole) and a 22 oz eVENT covered down sleeping bag (1 pound bags can be gotten). Additionally for warm summer conditions, I just purchased an 11 oz synethetic insulated sleeping quilt. Consider using clothing as additional insulation in your sleeping system when needed.

You should carry some clothes for wind and/or rain and some added insulation. As David indicated wear mostly what you are wearing.

As to your kitchen not including fuel, mine using alcohol weighs between 7 and 9 oz. Additionally, I have an Esbit type solid fuel system that can weigh on the order of 4 to 5 oz not including fuel.

As to running shoes, many love them, but again, consider the weight of your pack to decide if you want a set of 24 oz running shoes. I am personally a bit reluctant for long hiking. Another option might be lighter low cut fabric hiking boots or shoes. Granted I am vertically challenged at 5' 6" and have only a 7 1/2 shoe size, but my low boots weigh about 32 oz.

Rich
    Last edited by naturephoto1; 7-Aug-2007 at 21:00.
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Richard:
    Listed below is the rig I just used in Colorado. If you use freeze dried food, you can really get down to a pound per person per day. I can almost always get on the trail, all in, at under 30 pounds.
    Good luck,
    Dave B.

Lightweight Camera Gear List:

Toyo 45CF Camera 1549gr
    Box of Velvia Quickloads (20) 569
    Pentax Spot Meter 296
    Fuji Film Holder 337
    Camera Case 262
    Box with Lenses (90, 135, 200, 300) 1493
    Tripod 981
    Darkcloth 118
    Loupe 75
    Shutter Release 42
    Pen 10
    Total: 5732gr 12lb 10oz

Camping Gear List:

Golite Pack 32 oz
    WM Sleeping Bag 30
    Thermarest Pad 20
    Headlamp 2
    Raingear 21
    FA kit 3
    Stove, fuel 10
    Long Underwear, socks 13
    Water Filter 15
    Rope 1
    Water Bladder 4
    Cup, Spoon 3
    Tarptent-Squall 29
    Down Layer-Top 10
    Total: 193oz 12lbs 1oz

Hi David,

That is a very light kit. I am carrying a Toho FC-45X which as modified weighs 2lb 12oz. But I am shooting color transparencies so I would need to carry an assortment of filters mostly Cokin P sized Singh-Ray or Tiffen, warm polarizer, etc. My Zone 6 modified Soligor Digispot II is larger and heavier than your Pentax Spotmeter. I would also carry at least 40 sheets of film probably. However, the big difference in the weight of our photo kit comes from our tripods. I am not sure what your are using, but I am using the Gitzo 1257LVL and a Markins Q3 Emile head. I would be reluctant to go lower but I know that Gitzo has come out with their newer tripods, and they are claiming that the new 11XX series has the holding capacity of the 1257 tripods. Are you using a head on the tripod?

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Rich:
    My tripod is a Gitzo CF. It is pretty much at the rated limit but works well with my Toyo 45CF if you are careful to keep everything pretty tight when done adjusting things.
    Dave B.

Gitzo GIG1155T
    G-1155 Traveler Sport Carbon Fiber 2 Tripod Legs (Rapid) with G1077M Ballhead - Supports 4.4 lb (2 kg) REG

Rio Oso shooter

I have to go to work so I will get back to you on the weights. I hope we haven't hijacked the thread to badly. I can not afford another camera but it would be nice to drop a couple of pounds there and get a CF Toyo. I am extremely interested in this topic. I to have XL up and running and am constantly trying to screw down my weights.

Later,
    Richard

Rio Oso shooter

Dave,
    You run a little to skinny for my taste. Where is the compass, knife, med kit, sunblock, sunglasses, map ? I know that has to do with personal taste. I really don't feel comfortable without a tent (4 pounds) for instance. Well anyway.

What kind of darkcloth do you have it would save me a pound there. I wish I could afford a Carbon Toyo but my wife would kill me. Both of you, how do you like the CF version of the Toyo? I have been reading a lot of your posts in the past so I know that you are asking a lot of your equipment and expect good results. I am in line with everything except the camera and the tripod and I gain a pound not using quickloads. I take 50 sheets of different film in one box and load all exposed film in one box and seperate when I get home but you have me by about 400 grams there.

Thanks for the insight,
    Richard