Midwest www.mpex.com
    Badger www.badgergraphic.com
    Lens and Repro www.lensrepro.com
    Harry's Pro shop www.harrysproshop.com
    Jack's Camera www.jackscamera.com
    B&H www.bhphotovideo.com
    teamwork photo www.teamworkphoto.co.uk
    glennview www.glennview.com

and others I can't bring to mind this instant. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. My experience only ... Your milage may vary.

Telephoning is worthwhile for expensive used items. I think you get better info. Salespeople at a couple of the larger shops took the time to dig up items and have the item on hand as they call me back to describe actual condition. I've had no bad experiences ever, buying used at any of those shops.

Best,

C

Re: KEH.com

I have purchased several items from KEH. So far, even the lower Bargain grade items were in very nice shape, though definitely EX grade items are noticeably better quality. I also have problems with their website ordering system, though what I do is write down description and location from their website, and then phone in an order. They are usually quick on the phone, though you sort of need to know about the item prior to purchase; either there are too many items to know about, or they just don't have the time to investigate many items.

I ordered a lens through MPEX and had a very nice exchange. Here I was not so sure about what I saw on their website, with the limited description, so I phoned in to find out. The difference from KEH was that I got more detailed information about the lens. So I placed an order, and other details were handled through e-mail with Jim. One thing that came up was MPEX made a mistake on what lens they were describing to me, so Jim suggested an alternative; the first choice was a Fujinon, and he suggested a Nikkor replacement. Due to the openness about information, I felt confident in Jim's recommendation, and let the order go through for the Nikkor. Now after using this lens for a few months, I know that the recommendation from MPEX was a good choice. They know their equipment, and are more knowledgeable.

So if it was a rollfilm back, lens board, or a lens you know you really want, then KEH is a good choice. If you are not as sure about an item, or need more information prior to purchasing, then I would suggest contacting MPEX.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

I have purchased from them. Good experience. Their ratings are very conservative and nice people.

I have bought a number of things from KEH, the last a few days ago, and I have always been pleased with their service and more than satisfied with what I received.

KEH is fine.

FWIW, I've sent them email or called with questions about an item, and they were able (after a few hours) to get back to me with a description of the actual item. Saved me from buying an ugly mamiya tlr lens for parts, as the part I needed was included in the ugly description.

I've bought both medium and large format equipment from them, and found even their Bargain-rated items (most of what I've bought from them) to be in excellent shape. I've bought "bargain" LF lenses that have been nearly pristine--barely rubbed.

I bought a "bargain" Horseman view camera that had only a bit of paint rubbed off the edges of the monorail--otherwise it was perfect.

I once returned a Mamiya RZ body to them because it had a clue of having been used hard (look carefully at the right-hand focusing knob stem to see if the film transport lever has been bumping it--that's a sign of hard use). It didn't actually show any operational problems and looked great, but had only that small clue. They returned my money promptly with no questions asked.

KEH is reputable but sometimes you have to be careful and call them to speak to a person who knows cameras (not an order-taker). I learned that when I ordered (according to the picture) a Linhof-branded Tele-Arton in a Linhof focusing mount for a Linhof Press. What i received was an old Tele-Arton with on a Linhof board (no focusing mount). Turns out that they had used a stock image, but they refunded my money right away. I still do not hesitate to order from them, but if the item you're looking at is older or more obscure, you should probably call first to get a personal report of the item's condition.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

I picked up a fujinon lens in a supposedly sound shutter (sounds dead on, haven;t bothered to get it tested in person) for $150 in "bargain" condition. glass is _spotless_, no dust or anything. nothing has the slightest bit of brassing and they said the shutter was in proper working order. It looks like it was pulled out of a box new. I don't know if this was a mislabeled or what, but I have nothing but praise for KEH at the moment.

re: KEH. ditto on the bargain bin merchandise...I always look for these first. I ain't looking to put equipment on a shelf for display, if it works as it's supposed to what's the problem? I can't deal with the "mint condition" obsession... I want a shooter. Whoever is their appraiser, they are excellent as far as the mechanics and optics..

KEH is also a good barometer for prices.