Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: where to get a drum scan?

Re: where to get a drum scan?

I am a drum scan and Scitex advocate (who owns a 4990 with a Better Scanning table! ). Oh well, I can't afford them everyday!

I can see the difference between the raw drum scan and the sharpened 4990. Once you sharpen the drum scan, as was suggested above, it will stand out that much more. And this is just on a monitor!

I do agree with everyone that the difference is more manifest the more you enlarge, but I will encourage you to err on the side of better resolution and sharpness if this is a question of anything past a test or marketing portfolio print. Be suspicious when people tend to the "good enough" line of talk, which I compare to people saying that a certain lens is "sharp enough," when in fact, it can often be sharper, and matter that it is.

Try A+I Digital in Hollywood for drum scans or Digital Fusion in Culver City (Conjunctive Points, the B2 bomber looking building in Hayden Tract) for Scitex scans. I have used both, and been very happy with both. (Don't bother with Samy's, as they farm it out, and will charge you for doing so.) Actually, without wanting to hijack the thread, I would love to hear people's opinions about these two techniques relative to each other.

Nice picture, by the way. I really like it!

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by claudiocambon View Post
    Digital Fusion in Culver City (Conjunctive Points, the B2 bomber looking building in Hayden Tract) for Scitex scans.
    Wow, this building is literally right across the street from me! I'm in 3535 hayden, right across from the bomber building

jetcode

I had a day job that left me buried like that car, in fact every day job I've ever had has ...

That's a nice comparison, obviously the drum scanner is delivering higher resolution which I believe make a difference when down-sampling an image. If an image is soft and unfocused down-sampling will amplify this. I think the results of your image scanned on the 4490 is fine though I do a lot of image mining and I prefer to have full resolution data to work with. That said there is a BIG difference in price in owning and operating a drum scanner and owning and operating a consumer grade flatbed.

I take it the film was scanned dry in your 4490? I don't know much about the 4490 and I just purchased a Cezanne Elite which I am duly looking forward to using. At last a real scanner and I don't have to drop $12k++ on an Imacon. My latest LF rig is in transit and it's a Shen-Hao 4x10. I plan on using a 240mm Caltar and 480mm APO Ronar. It this works the way I think it will I will be rich in imagery for quite a while.

I like your image.
    Joe

3d Visual Effects artist

yes, my scan in the 4990 was dry. The drum scan was wet, though I don't know any specifics.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by JPlomley View Post
    I've had Ted scan some of my B&W street work from a Mamiya 7 on his Cezanne and the results were nothing short of spectacular. Highly recommended.

Yum, a Cezanne report, I just purchased an Elite and can't wait to see the results.

Joe

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Buck View Post
    yes, my scan in the 4990 was dry. The drum scan was wet, though I don't know any specifics.
    Thanks again for taking the time to do the comparison. The image is up my alley as I love buried junk, reminds me of my lifestyle and living situation.