Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New to LF - Help me find a good 6x9 camera!

Re: New to LF - Help me find a good 6x9 camera!

Al I think the reason it wasn't mentioned was that it's a pricey little kit and the poster was looking to save some money. It's nice tho.

I'm thinking the Arca is a good direction. It's expensive, but I get the impression that you want a very high quality camera. Arca is expandable, as others have noted, and it has some nice features for digital.

For example, I believe you can get a sliding back that has a ground glass on one side and the digital back on the other. As you go from focus to expose, the sliding back allows you to slide the digital back into place to expose the image. The point of this back is that the sensor doesn't have to be removed to use the camera, so there's less opportunity for dust to collect on the sensor's surface.

If you want to try your idea out on an inexpensive film camera, consider a Sinar F series camera. They can be found on EBay for under $300 sometimes, and I've often thought they would make a good oversized camera for 6x9 backs. They also have format kits that come up on EBay, and they're not that expensive, either. I don't think these cameras pack well, though.

Mamiya 7II with 43mm lens, or Bronica 645 rangefinders? You might feel right at home with one of those & the M8. Otherwise, like many have said, 4x5 field camera & rollfilm backs. Lenses for 4x5 are readily available. You can go as wide as your budget allows. Used 4x5 are less expensive than and arguably better than Leitz lenses.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Quote Originally Posted by Aender Brepsom View Post
    I would strongly recommend having a look at Ebony's 6x9 cameras (like the excellent wide-angle field camera SW23 or the more versatile 23S). They are quite easy to use and especially the SW23 allows the use of very wide-angle lenses without any hassle. They are lightweight (1,3 kg for the SW23) and small. I am very satified with mine.
    Yes the baby Ebony's are lovely indeed. Lance Keimig wrote up a great review of his SW23 in the 3rd issue of MAGNAchrom magazine -- free for you to register and download. With incredible light weight and full movements you will be a very happy camper with this fabulous camera. Even though I own both a Mamiya 7 system as well as a Technikardan 45s, at times I lust after Lance's Ebony!

While I don't shoot architecture (do landscapes) I was in a similar position a while ago.

In the end I went for a 4x5 Ebony with 4x5 to 6x9 format reducer for the flexibility to shoot 4x5 at some point. The cost and weight isn't really too different and the format reducer has the swing out groundglass just like the 6x9 Ebony's.

So far I am very happy with it

Quote Originally Posted by marbrink View Post
    I'm new to large format photography. I'm currently shooting with a Leica M8 which I like and I've shot with 35mm and digital SLR's earlier. I'm thinking of getting a LF camera for architecture and planned shots. I'm not a machine gun shooter so I like the idea of LF and it might fit my work very well. But I'm sure 6x9 is enough for me as I'm not a technical geek and I love the idea of roll film on a LF camera. I've also been thinking of a panorama camera (6x12 or 6x17 Linhof or Horseman).
    What would you recommend for me? My requirements are..

- Ease of use
    - High quality (I'm used to Leica )
    - 6x9 roll film
    - Compact and not to heavy
    - Easy to bring with me and set up

I would want a wide angle (24-35mm) 35mm equivalent lens for the camera. Any recommendations here?

Please also give me other good advice if you have any!
    The Linhof TechniKardan 69S fits your requirements. The 45S would be even more versatile.

Horseman made some great 6x9 cameras. 900 series, VH series and the 'helical focus' SW series without bellows.

Personally, I'm pretty fond of the 4x5 Arcas. If you don't have to move quick and don't mind the weight, a view camera is so much more versatile than any of the medium format cameras.

I shoot 4x5 film in Readyload (less and less) 120 film in Horseman backs 6x7 and 6x12 and a Phase 1 back. The Arca will focus down to 35mm, possibly 28 and very few view cameras can do that. Now, though, I would buy the F Metric over the F Line, especially for the digi back. These dang sensors are tough to keep sharp when shifting wide lenses.