Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sticky saggy bellows are killing my buzz.

Re: Sticky saggy bellows are killing my buzz.

I'm not sure what format this is but I'm guessing 4x5? Some of the China/Hong Kong sellers seem to be selling new Linhof fitting bellows 4x5 and 5x7 for not much money. At least relative to what others can charge for bellows.

http://cgi.ebay.com/For-Linhof-5x7-T...QQcmdZViewItem

The 4x5s are cheaper. I've no idea on the quality of the bellows. I don't know if they'll fit. You'll want to ask the seller plenty of questions.

Hopefully some body else here has bought those bellows and they'll comment one way or the other.

I'm presuming you're using proper leather bellows and not plastic-imitation.
    Clearly as you've only identified late on in your post that your bellows are synthetic, you have an even greater issue to take up with the seller then.

The synthetic bellows are not original, and if the seller has not identified that the camera was modified or altered, nor that there were pinholes, then errr...you have a problem.

Nick, those bellows are a good 5cm to wide, though I've been checking this sellers bellows and waiting for a response. If it helps, the dimensions are

front
    outside 110 X 110
    inside 90 X 90

back
    outside 150 X 150
    inside 130 X 130

400mm fully extended, compact to less then 20mm

this is the auction, it didn't state that the camera was or wasn't modified, and I doubt the seller really knew it was to begin with

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=002

I sent him a message detailing the problem and asked him to propose a solution. Thanks a million for your input guys, without you I would be dead in the water with a sponge for a camera.

for that price, it's actually okay to replace the bellows.

Can you not just get a pair of Wista bellows and use? I don't know much about Tachis - maybe someone else can chime in. You should be able to get an off the shelf bellows, unless the bellows are fixed, right?

that wasn't the price, he ended it early for the agreed price of $465US shipped. the wista bellows are about 10mm smaller on the inside, and I it looks as if they would cut into the film frame. Now that I think about that... it makes no sense.

I see what you mean. I'm sure someone with a Tachihara could point you in the right direction, although it makes sense to take up the issues with the seller. He seems honest and it probably is a genuine mistake. In which case, he'll have no qualms about refunding you $100-200 for replacing the bellows

You don't seem to have left feedback yet so the seller should be willing to stand behind the listing's claim of light tight. However, at least some of this transaction seems to have occured "outside" Ebay so you don't have much recourse except to leave negative feedback. I.E. you say you paid $465 and the listing shows $179.50 therefore you certainly can't go to Ebay for "buyer protection".

I am always reluctant to deal with Ebay sellers that offer to mistate the selling price to reduce customs duty, for example, because if they are willing to commit a federal offence to make a little extra, what chance do I have with them?

Just got a reply from the seller. He suggested he would help compensate the cost of sealing them. I replied that they had to be replaced, and suggested he cover the cost of those wista bellows while I take care of the rest. waiting for his response. he still seems to be a good chap, I have my fingers crossed that his good nature remains.

Yup - I looked at his feedback, and he seems to be a multi-gadget seller who isn't into the geekiness and detail of field cameras. Looks like a genuine mistake - he might be in for a surprise to find out how much it costs to repair the bellows and settle for refunding you with the cost instead. If you do go for a set of Wista bellows, a contribution refund for a set of bag bellows instead of rigid bellows might be a better substitute than outright replacement with the same design of bellows: you get to use everything from 47mm upto 180mm whereas with the bellows you have, you are limited in pivoting due to the bellows design.

Certainly with my Wista, I find I rarely ever need the original bellows.

Quote Originally Posted by rivermandan View Post
    Nick, those bellows are a good 5cm to wide, though I've been checking this sellers bellows and waiting for a response. If it helps, the dimensions are
    That seller has various 4x5 bellows. Are they all the wrong size for your camera?