Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sticky saggy bellows are killing my buzz.

Sticky saggy bellows are killing my buzz.

When I open the camera, the bellows are literally stuck together and have to peel apart, much like pulling a sweaty body off of a leather couch. In a few areas, this seems to have actually pulled a few peices of the shiny surface. The sag is also somewhat annoying, though I can't think of a possible fix for that problem.

Any idea on how I should clean this and what I should clean it with?

Re: Sticky saggy bellows are killing my buzz.

At the risk of highjacking the OP's thread, does anyone know of any sort of self-adhesive tab with a small ring to combat bellows sag?

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Like leather couches, you could try furniture polish.

One of my cameras suffers from saggy bellows with 240mm to 360mm lenses, so I use a cigarette pack under the bellows to prop it up whenever I use these focal lengths on it. That's one thing I never leave home without, anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rice View Post
    At the risk of highjacking the OP's thread, does anyone know of any sort of self-adhesive tab with a small ring to combat bellows sag?
    You want to run a rod across? How about the self sticking velcro? You could loop it over and turn it into a ring.

You can always make a small wire brace that attaches by tension (say, out of a wire coat hanger for good measure) to sit under the bellows and lift the sag?

As for sticky bellows, that probably means they have gunk on them, and will need a clean. wipe them clean with a damp cloth or furniture wipes (leather *should* be waterproof enough to handle a damp cloth) then a bit of polish over the top.

If you're missing shiny bits, check for pinholes too.

Quote Originally Posted by rivermandan View Post
    When I open the camera, the bellows are literally stuck together and have to peel apart, much like pulling a sweaty body off of a leather couch. In a few areas, this seems to have actually pulled a few peices of the shiny surface. The sag is also somewhat annoying, though I can't think of a possible fix for that problem.

Any idea on how I should clean this and what I should clean it with?
    Sounds like what I had on my Gandolfi before I restored it properly. I'm presuming you're using proper leather bellows and not plastic-imitation.

Firstly you need a leather cleaner, and then the conditioner:

http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/pro...=1&pf_id=11906

http://www.carcareonline.com/viewarticle.aspx?art=7

I haven't found any great difference between products - probably the cheapest remoisturising conditioner since you can use lots of it would be best. Do it slowly in several layers over several hours to penetrate the bellows (that stops further hardening and cracking).

Once you've gone through the process of conditioning the bellows, then go to your local kitchen accessories store. They sell a kind of chicken wire, with a circular hole on one end of the firm rod, and a sharp spikey end. You can use this to loop a strong piece of fishing rod around the centre of the bellows and lassoo it to the rigid wire, which can be connected to either a temporary or permanent clamp/notch/ on the top of the rear standard. Around the supporting thread on the underbase of the bellows, use a piece of folded black card to spread the pressure of the thread. Just trim the top wire with a set of cutting pliers after bending.

Sag is a game that old people play (slowly) - as in, "Sag, you're it."

As others have essentially suggested, use a cleaner appropriate for the actual material out of which the bellows are made. Leather cleaner and reconditioner, for example, might not be appropriate for some synthetic materials, and versa vica.

My bellows are way younger than I am, so they don't sag much yet. But, when they eventually do, I like the prop-up idea better than the ring/rod approach. One less unwieldy thing (the rod) to bother with.

Hi Ralph,

I'm hoping that if I hang my bellows as I do, they'll sag no more.

I like Ole's practical idea of using cigarette cartons. If I smoke anymore, no amount of restoration is going to stop me from sagging over.

Oh my, I didn't even check for light leaks as the seller I bought it off of has great feedback and said they were light tight... It turns out that it looks like a clear night sky inside Strangely enough the light leaks are not where the material has peeled, but in the corners. Do I even want to know how much replacement bellows for this cost?

It will depend on what country you're in, as I only know of CameraBellows in the UK, but there are meant to be a few manufacturers in America (help me out here Jim ).

I think you should contact the seller about the camera though, light tight means light tight.