Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why Does Presoaking Make a Difference?

Re: Why Does Presoaking Make a Difference?

I presoak in trays for two reasons, even development, and, I find when adding several sheets of film to a tray, it takes many seconds to place them all in,
    especially if the film is sticking together a bit (not from liquid, but from the propensity of film to stick to another film).

If I'm putting film in developer directly, this process could take from 30 seconds to a minute. With a presoak, I take the entire stack of film, maybe 6-8 sheets, and move them all into the developer at once. That way they all get the same time in the developer.
    -Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Armin Seeholzer View Post
    Hi
    I do a presoak to get more even development on my tank processing with Kodak hangers!
    I get more even develoment since I do it with a presoak of 1 min in water!
    But still not fully happy because still get on critical parts sometimes a bit of unevenness! With the kodak hangers but almost only the last 3-5 mm outside around!
    Armin
    Try going for a longer pre-soak, say 4 minutes with agitation at 30 sec. intervals. Some film is just more prone to streaks when developing in deep tanks. The longer pre-soak seems to help me.

It occurs to me that B&W film is more prone to problems when NO presoak is applied than colour film (pos. or neg.), I do not know why but I do not really care.
    I once, unwillingly, pre soaked APX 400 for a half a day, there was no problem at all, I just added 1 min to the dev. time (Rodinal 1+50, 12 min, 20°C). Every time I did not presoak, 35 mm- , roll film or sheets, the streaks and bubbles stroked again! So, regardless the brand of film, chemicals or tank/try, I do presoak for the time needed to prepare the developers working solution. And, unless I am convinced with good argumentation, to which I am always open, I do not feel the urge to change that.
    BTW, what are BTZS tubes, I Googled for it but did not find the manufacturers website nor a good information pamphlet. I am using Jobo drums and open trays...

Thank you,
    Philippe

I presoak because I'm doing more semi-stand development now and want to have the most even development possible. With a presoak, as I'm mixing developer, then a full minute of initial agitation, there aren't any problems with uneven skies. I just figure its cheap insurance. tim

It's really easy to try and then make your own conclusions. I use a Jobo most of the time and presoak for Pyrocat and other slow developers. I don't for Xtol, FX37 and other Sexton recommended 5 minutes presoak for everything to promote even development..Evan Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe Debeerst View Post
    BTW, what are BTZS tubes, I Googled for it but did not find the manufacturers website nor a good information pamphlet. I am using Jobo drums and open trays...

Thank you,
    Philippe
    Try

www.btzs.org

or

www.viewcamerastore.com

It's to prevent uneven development in trays for me.

Thank you Steve