Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attaching spirit level

Re: Attaching spirit level

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Hi,

I want to attach a spirit level to my tachihara but I don't want to use any kind of adhesive on the wood. Velcro seems to me to defeat the purpose as you can't assume the item velcroed is particularly level to start with. Any ideas?
    Ben,
    Go to a hobby shop and buy some CA glue -- that's "super glue", and it's not thick enough to change the angle of the level. Other glues such as epoxy and "goo" would work but are thicker, so you'd have to make sure that the bottom of the level was firmly against the tripod.

John Clark
    www.johndclark.com

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

How about double-stick tape? It is an adhesive, but any residue will clean up easily with rubbing alcohol if you decide to later remove the level. I've used two types of doublestick tape in situations where I didn't want to permanently attach something - the foam type and the cellophane type.

I use an inexpensive 45° right-triangle that has levels on the base and altitude sides - each about 4" long. About $5, as I recall. It serves both to square up the standards and to level things, along with being small enough ti fit inside the base of the 8x10 Tachihara, thus eliminating the foregoing step #3. Not sure it would fit inside the 4x5, though.

A couple of options might include a clear silicone sealer/adhesive or common "rubber cement." Neither will penetrate the finish or the wood. The silicones will provide a much stronger bond, while rubber cement will peel off the finish more easily if (when) you decide to remove the level.

I use a 90 degree spirit level against the ground glass. Perfect verticals every time with no modification of the camera.

Ben,

Take a look at the EbisuDiamond Pocket Level, Item #455K01.15, available from Lee Valley Tools for $8.50 plus shipping (comes from their U.S. distribution center). Maybe a little slower than built-in levels but more versatile. A fellow LF'er drilled a small hole in one corner of one of these and installed a thin nylon cord neckstrap even though his 4x5 has factory built-in levels?? Here is the product page:

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page....at=4,104,53217

Guaranteed not to alter the resale value of your camera!

Don

Thanks a lot everyone!