Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Re: Microtek M1 Scanner

> I can't yet see what this new Microtek M1 scanner offers that I don't have on my Microtek Artixscan 2500f?

Availability? Many of us would buy a 2500 in a heartbeat if it were available.

I was under the impression that one of the main differences between the M1 and the preceding models was that it allows Digital ICE with transparent media, whereas on the older models the Digital ICE only worked with reflective media. Or was I mistaken?

Apparently, Vincent from www.Photo-i.co.uk is waiting on an M1 to be delivered for review. His reviews are usually pretty extensive and since he always uses the same set of images in all his reviews, he will have direct comparisons with previous Epsons and Canons. He's also pretty good at scanning and shows crops with and without sharpening to give an idea of real-world results.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I apologize, I am using a bit of personal shorthand I guess. Here is my point. IMO after having owned 11-13 prosumer flatbeds ......................
    And THAT seems to be the lesson that I too have a hard time learning. Ya gets whats ya pays for. Inexpensive scanners become expensive in quantity.

>> I was under the impression that one of the main differences between the M1 and the preceding models was that it allows Digital ICE with transparent media, whereas on the older models the Digital ICE only worked with reflective media. Or was I mistaken?<<

FWIW, I have been in contact with someone who received their review sample on Friday and they said that it appears to them the scanner once again does not have ICE for film. Just passing along what this person told me although they had just opened the box and not fully explored everything.

Doug
    ---
    www.BetterScanning.com

Doug,

Nowhere on the Microtek sight does it mention Digital Ice on the M-1, so I am assuming no. This will not be attractive to some. It will need to offer some real resolution gains to cut into 750 sales.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

I am still trying to understand what interest LF photographers would have in a scanner such as this. I am fairly new to this and was also interested, but when I learned that even good flatbed scanners can only deliver a 3 to 4x print, and even then the quality may be questionable, I figured I might as well have my best shots drum scanned and be done with it.
    Am I missing something?
    I guess that if the M1 could deliver outstanding 11x14 prints, then it would be worth it for those images not being printed larger.
    Like everyone else, I eagerly anticipate the review.

> Am I missing something?

1) $$ - most of us would love to stick with drum scans, but unless you want to run your own drum scanner, it is hard to part with about $100 per scan, plus you will not know which are your best shots until you compare the scans. (Bruce and others can weigh in - I bet even if you own a drum scanner you do your first cut with a consumer scanner.)

2) if you are fairly new to this, you have a lot of shooting and printing in front of you before the scan is the limiting factor in your photography. Learn to use the consumer scanner to its capabilities, and when have done your first 500-1000 sheets and have a better idea what you want in a print, then start getting drum scans. (Unless money is not an object, in which case you should find someone you trust to do the scans, and see if you can work out a bulk deal to get through those first few hundred sheets. There are good deals to be had in India I am told.)

Ed is absolutely right, they have their place. I use a 750 with DI for magazine work, small exhibition prints, proofing to see what I want drum scans from etc. They are very useful.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73: