Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo shot with X-ray film

Re: Photo shot with X-ray film

so the link that gene gave which do i want to buy? which did you buy gene? CXS High (Full) Speed Blue Film or CXS Ortho Green Film or CXS Green Latitude Film

which is more like regular film. will all work for me? thanks

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by EdWorkman View Post
    Thanks Don, now I know what to look for.
    I have actually started building a 7x17 box camera.
    The test of my skills is the filmholder. If I can make that work the GG back should be easier.
    I've designed it to match my poor skills and am waiting for my son to cut a couple of pieces of metal with precision so I can do the fill in with wood and glue and putty and a big hammer.
    I hate the thought of spoiling a sheet of HP-5 etc as I attempt to iron out the light leaks etc. so I appreciate very much all the posts about Xray film.
    I'm thinking about building a large film holder also and was thinking I would just use photo paper to test for light leaks. Should work the same right? Put the paper in take the holder out into bright sunlight for several minutes and then develop the paper. If anything but white shows up you know you have a leak somewhere. Would that work?

I just checked out the CXS website. They sell developers for their films also. Would it improve/increase sharpness to use those developers over Dektol or other? Might be worth a try at 6 dollars a gallon. Also, when shooting this film is any filter needed?

I got a free sample of the CXS High Speed Blue Sensitive, and all my sample images are with that film. Here is another.

I'm guessing the various X-ray film holders are useless for cameras? At least with normal backs.

David Vickery

All of the the X-ray cassettes are useless because they are mostly only transparent to X-rays. But there was a double-sided, medical/industrial film holder made in the 14x17 size, and probably 11x14 too, and is why these sizes have been standardized throughout the film industry (as apposed to the other ULF camera sizes). So if you can find a medical/industrial film holder in the 11x14 or 14x17 sizes then they should fit in any properly manufactured 11x14 or 14x17 camera.

David Vickery

You can also find a variety of X-ray film on ebay. I have a some that I plan on trying out as soon as I get my darkroom back. I did play with some before I had to give up my darkroom over a year ago and I made one image that I loved and I feel that at least some of the x-ray films hold a lot of promise.

If you want only single sided film then look for the notch code. It can be hard to decipher what some of these films are, or what they will do, but at least if it has a notch code then you know that it is coated on only one side. Whether that is good or bad depends on the user of course.

David Vickery

Gene, What is your EI???

At one time they made a film holder for x-ray film that was used for film dulpication machines. They were the same as regular 8X10 holders except they had a small rib on each side. They could be cut off fairly easily. I have not seen any in use for several years. I work in a Hospital.