Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi! New to LF in southwestern PA

Re: Hi! New to LF in southwestern PA

Hi ya Bethe!
    Those of us up here in MA miss ya already.
    Thanks, Gene! You know that if I was there, I'd be on your doorstep bugging you for help when I get my camera, right? I miss knowing my way around and knowing where I can get film developed. I'll learn this area, but MA will always have a place in my heart - so will all my photog buds up there!

Bethe,

Welcome to the forum. I'm very familiar with SW PA. I think you'll like it there.

I just left a PM as well.

Scott

Scott Davis

Welcome to LF Forum! There's plenty of neat stuff in the Pittsburgh general area. While I don't know that I'd call Altoona a scenic gem (my extended family is from Altoona, and I've been visiting it on holidays since birth), the railroad museum is cool, and there are a number of other railroad related sites in the general area if you're into trains - East Broad Top railroad still runs a narrow-gauge steam train for excursions. Closer to Pittsburgh, there's the two Frank Lloyd Wright homes, Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob, down by the PA-MD border, and Ohiopyle Falls in Ohiopyle, PA. There's some neat roadside scenery along old US Route 40 in far Western Maryland, and down near Deep Creek Lake is Swallow Falls, along the Monongahela river. For some other interesting industrial sites, go over to Wheeling, West Virginia. I've got a great little book (one of a series of books on scenic drives) on scenic and historic road trips in West Virginia, and I'm sure they make them on other states as well. When I get home, I'll pull it out and get you the title and publisher. There's all kinds of neat and funky bits of Americana out there, including a roadside diner (coffee shop?) shaped like a coffee pot, and a Swiss Alpine village that dates back to the 1800s.