Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: ADMIN: WHAT'S NEXT ON THE LF PAGE ?

ADMIN: WHAT'S NEXT ON THE LF PAGE ?

Glad to see a page on this unusual (for most photogs) subject. I shoot both modern and ancient lenses. The discussion on 8x10 and older lenses really helps. Not many living people with information anymore.

As much as I hate to deny it, digital is coming and in fact has arrived to large format. I think this page should supply some information or at least links to the large format digital web pages. The primary limiting factor is cost. Digital backs for 4x5 cameras are $20,000 or more and the scanners, especially transparency scanners are at least as expensive and printers are in the same ballpark. But like everything else that is digital the price is going to come down and be available to even the amateur large format photographers. Information on this new technology should be available even if the equipment is too expensive now.

This is a more technical suggestion: The one thing that would be most helpful to me on this site is a good search engine and catatloging system. That would make this valuable photographic resource even more so. I'm surprised that so few others have suggested it. Regards, ;^D)

This is one of my favorite web sites. I enjoy the entire range. Profiles and trip reports are exciting ideas. I would like to add my opinion of what constitutes large format. I have two 5x7 cameras, two 4x5 cameras, a Galvin 6x9 view camera, a Tachihara 6x9 field camera, and a Mamiya Seven. I consider all my cameras to be large format except the Mamiya Seven. But many times the situation I must place myself in to take the desired photograph precludes the use of a tripod, and at those times I am grateful for my Mamiya Seven. A question, does a Wista 4x5 cease being large format as long as it has a roll film back attached? Regards. Jerry Ellison

I use a Linhof Technikardan S23 with 6x7cm backs, and I insist on calling myself a large format photographer, if that's all right with the rest of you!;-) Seriously, though,I really want to say just how impressed I am with this site. The information carried here is immensely valuable, and I love all of it. Even though I intend to keep on with 6x7cm, as my present camera suits my purposes very well, I am very interested in ULF issues, as it's so very hard to find out anything. As far as seeing other people's work, the links to LF photographers here are excellent: there is no need for criticism, just look. The only real problem here is the limited resolution on the web in any sensible timescale, which means that half of the point of LF is lost at the outset - there is really no substitute for seeing the original work. I am very happy to tell anyone anything about my camera, but I have little experience with other 6x9's, so it could not be truly comparative: anyone still interested?

I am just begun Large-Format-Photography, especially the "old way" with a Dryplate-Camera in 13x18cm and two old Voigtlander ("Avus" and "Bergheil") in 9x12cm (Plates & Planfilm) and 6x9cm with Rollfilm-Back. In germany i have found no websites obut this topic (it is possible that i am really the first guy in germany, that had "ressurect" a old dryplate-camera?? :-) Now i am searching for informations about this "old style photography" around the world. I think, it was a good idea to add a little forum for this old art. Beginning with collodion wetplates, dryplates and old fashioned printing-technics like Argyrotype, Ambrotype, Albumen-Printing etc.

Greetings from germany

Carsten Corleis

Here's my vote for more coverage of MF view cameras and work. There seems to be a few more MF view cameras on the market now as compared to a few years ago. The working methodolgies are the same for LF or MF view cameras. For me, the lower film and processing costs are attractive, and its wonderful to have the view camera movements to boot!

I have only recently become aware of this fine site, you are all to be commended for the content. In my lifetime 4 x 5 has been considered to be "medium format" so I hope that I'm not excluded from LF when I include 2 1/4 x 31/4 sheet film cameras on these pages. Yes, I know that we are "red-headed stepchildren" these days. Kodak has completely abandonded us and only Ilford currently catalogs film, and that a single offering. I am able to use the format for survey field work to set up 4 x 5 trips and for B&W copy work. Currently I'm building a copy camera in 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 using a Polaroid MP-3 bellows and focus mechanism. Yes, I'll probably use some roll film holders on it but have no cure for the inherrant film flatness problems.

With that off my chest I would like to endorse David Goldfarb's suggestion for a subject of lens maintenance since the vast majority of my intrest is in field photography and all my lenses are 1960s and older. All are essentially open to the weather. I'll leave the adjustment to Steve but would love to have a general and brand specific owner performed maintenance reference considered as a subject.

Gnit Pickers and English Majors; Please disregard. I never could spell and at my age I never will!!! Thanks, Ken

I like the forum for the wealth of information on it but I sometimes wish for some usability improvements to be added.

I get the impression that you don't want to become a full time webmaster / moderator and from what I've read, the members do a decent moderating job if somebody steps out of line (rarely, I know), but I'm a member of another bbs (www.scoobynet.co.uk & follow the link to the forum) and I like how this is set up w.r.t. displaying the most recent and replied to posts (i.e. the most recently replied to post returns to the top of the pile and things are allowed to die a natural death by dropping off the bottom of the page into an archive if they are not posted to for a while). We've found the data on number of posts and the nuber of times the threads are viewed enlighening as it lets you keep up with the "hot topics"

I'm no computer techie and this probably would include a lot of work to set up but hopefully would run itself (things like smilies and inserting graphics possibly could be disabled to cut down data sizes etc).

As for ruling out posts due to film formats, there was a comment made that it should just be based on whether the camera has movements or not. I think this is a good suggestion as we're all in the same boat then - when I bought my 4x5 I was told that the market was dropping off for this size as professionals (I'm not one) were switching to smaller formats like 6x9 to suit ccds in digital systems and had no need for "cumbersome" 4x5 systems. I only hope that this forum doesn't become overrun by digital topics - I've nothing against it as it's another technique, it's here and I can see some good uses for it but cost prohibits a lot of people (plus logistics for outside work) and there's life in us silver workers (and alternative process people) yet!

Tuan, You might consider words related to camera rebuilding & restoration. There are many large format photographers interested in this "hobby" and some have the necessary tools to accomplish a great restoration. I would be willing to contribute my experience with this endeavor.