Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lens to cover 20x24

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Lens to cover 20x24

Some 8x10 convertable lenses might cover in their longer configurations.

On process lenses, be aware that a lot of the manufacturer's coverages are given for 1:1 reproduction, not coverage at infinity. That makes a HUGE difference.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

The 600mm Fujinon-C will definitely cover 20X24 but you will need to stop down a lot for performance to be acceptable on the corners. Price runs $1200 - $1400 in Copal 3.

Even the 450mm Nikkor-M will cover, but again you must stop down to at least f/45 for adequate performance on the corners.

The 30" Artar will cover and more, but again for good performance on the corners you will need to stop down a lot. Most process over 30" will also cover 20X24". These lenses will be your best buys, in the $300-$800 range in barrel

19" Dagor would cover with movements, but will likely be very expensive, $2000 plus.

The best semi-wide lens for the format is the 550 XXL Schneider, a modern Dagor type lens. Price slightly over $4000 but will cover will lots of movements.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    The 600mm Fujinon-C will definitely cover 20X24 but you will need to stop down a lot for performance to be acceptable on the corners. Price runs $1200 - $1400 in Copal 3.

Even the 450mm Nikkor-M will cover, but again you must stop down to at least f/45 for adequate performance on the corners.

The 30" Artar will cover and more, but again for good performance on the corners you will need to stop down a lot. Most process over 30" will also cover 20X24". These lenses will be your best buys, in the $300-$800 range in barrel

19" Dagor would cover with movements, but will likely be very expensive, $2000 plus.

The best semi-wide lens for the format is the 550 XXL Schneider, a modern Dagor type lens. Price slightly over $4000 but will cover will lots of movements.

Sandy King
    Sandy or anyone else who knows!

What about the Rodenstock 35" Compact CL Ronar for 20x24 and what would that be equivalent to in 8x10 or 35mm formats? I'm thinking of taking portraits of primates in the zoo!

How avaialble and desirable is it and what would be a good price?

Thanks,

Asher

Wot? Does your local zoo exhibit archbishops?

I suppose you could persuade an archbishop to hold still long enough for you to set up. Perhaps also some, not all, of the great apes. But monkeys?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Wot? Does your local zoo exhibit archbishops?

I suppose you could persuade an archbishop to hold still long enough for you to set up. Perhaps also some, not all, of the great apes. But monkeys?
    Dan,

Primates, prelates both pose,

At least in the zoo, most of the time,

Ya have no fear when ya bend down,

No partition to their face

Just an ape with a noble face!

At the LA Zoo

They'll always pose for you!

The really love the long black lens

Of the homo sapiens!

Asher

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

If I have 1 lens 1 camera on field . That would be 19 inches Dagor.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    Sandy or anyone else who knows!

What about the Rodenstock 35" Compact CL Ronar for 20x24 and what would that be equivalent to in 8x10 or 35mm formats? I'm thinking of taking portraits of primates in the zoo!

How avaialble and desirable is it and what would be a good price?

Thanks,

Asher
    I picked one up a new one a year or so ago for around $600.00. I can only speculate about 20x24 because I use it for 4x5 and 8x10 but by the specs it covers approximately 26 inches at f22. Stated image circles for Ronars are conservative (the corners maintain extreme sharpness) but quality also falls off rather quickly beyond the stated coverage. For 20x24 It's equivalent to approximately 360mm on 8x10; consider it a slightly long "normal" focal length.

Asher,

ever considered a Apo Germinar 9/750 or a 12/1000 ?, ... your camera should not be too flimsy, but I am using these lenses on Sinar's with behind the lens shutter so far up to 8x10 to profit from the tele effect , but image circle is good enough for larger formats, Kerry might be able to help you .. just send him a Pm . There is also a rather rare Apo Germinar 14,5/750 that comes in a Copal 3. These lenses with their all-air spaced 6-element design offer performance that goes beyond what one may actually ever need .. they might though be a worthwhile alternative. There are the recent Apo-Tele-Xenars 600/800 .. with image circle beyond 8x10 but not for the very large formats .. the long Apo Germinar's performance at infinty is not much behind the Apo Tele-xenar performance .. I think this is remarkable.

Best

Joerg

Thanks Tri, Edwin and Joerg.

I'm trying to think ahead (for a new ULF camera) and still use the ambitious focal length right now on my 8x10 camera.

Now I have to translate you advice on lenses to availability and price.

Asher

what about the fujinon CM-W 450mm?
    it's the biggest plasmat that anybody makes today, yet oddly lighter than my 360mm W Nikkor. now if only I had a 20x24 camera to do some testing...