Thread: What to do about overexposure

What to do about overexposure

I have some negs that were going to make me rich and famous only to discover the y are so dense that it takes 3x exposure to get a proof. I developed some other s with them that turned out OK so it was not processing. I am thinking a sticky shutter. Was in a place where I could not hear it. 3X enlargement not good fo r the clouds in them, I don't like grain, that's why I use large negs. What can I do? Will reducer do anything for the grain? I have a couple I can experimen t on.

"Compensating" or "proportionate" reducers are a safe way to go. There is also a use for heavy negs for Platinum printing or other alternative processes.

If you are going to use any reducing agents, make sure you give a long pre-wet of say 5 mins so the uptake of bleach will be more even. james

Kodak Farmer's Reducer will work, but be sure to follow James's advice about the pre-soak.

I suggest a less radical, but more expensive approach. Kodak duplicating film (I think it is SO-39). Calumet has it as B&W Dupe. You don't risk your negatives with this as you do with a reducer.

It's a one-step negative-to-negative film. You expose it like a print, but the longer you expose it, the lighter it gets. You can manipulate exposure (dodge & burn-in) and adjust the overall scale. Develop in your print developer. It's about $40 for 25 sheets!

Good luck.

You might consider having them drum scanned and output back to 4x5. Expensive, but it could be worth it depending on their value.

Also reducers increase grain. They also make shadows emptier. Why are you having a problem making a print? At 3 times the exposure for a print that means 10 secs normal makes it 30 secs. There isn't anything wrong with that. Hell I have mistakes in the 10 minute range that produce excellent prints. Just be careful with the reducers. They can be wonderful one minute and hell the next. James