Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Book on CD-ROM

New Book on CD-ROM

Finely Focused: a Guide to Traditional Photography is now available on CD-Rom from www.circleofthesunproductions.com. $25 includes First Class Postage worldwide.

Adapted from the highly-rated materials from Fine Focus Workshops, this 181-page book covers an introduction to large format photography equipment, materials and traditional processes. Based on the idea that techniques should be simple, reliable, and repeatable, the book takes the mystery out of large format photography, the Zone System, and other tools photographers use. Exercises are designed to form good habits when doing mechanical tasks, and can enable any photographer to be familiar and comfortable with large format stuff.

But more than that, author Bruce Barlow (Hey! That's me!) wades into picture-making, discussing composition, Head, Hands and Heart in photography, and gives many exercises for improving one's seeing. In fact, the exercises are at the heart of Finely Focused, and those who do them will see their images improve. Most of these exercises are applicable to any photographic format, even digital image-making.

Finely Focused is distributed on CD-ROM in .pdf format, requiring Adobe Reader 6.0 or higher. It's up to you to print any or all of it.

Finely Focused also includes the procedures, .1 ND filter and Zone VIII example used in my Film Test Kit, so if you buy Finely Focused you do not need the Film Test Kit. The inclusion of the .1 ND and Zone VIII example are what keeps me from making Finely Focused available as a download.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Re: New Book on CD-ROM

If this is the same information that Bruce handed out at last year's Fine Focus Fall Foliage workshop then it is certainly worth much more than the $25 price tag. The information contained in that handout is "Priceless." Bruce does an outstanding job of combining "Zone System" technique with exercises that would challenge and improve even the most experienced of photographers.

Anytime I find myself needing a good swift kick in the pants to "get out there and photograph" picking up this little gem and selecting one of the exercises to perform is just what the Dr. ordered to get the old photographic juices flowing again.

Needless to say this is highly recommended.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
    .....Needless to say this is highly recommended.

John

Whilst the content might be very good indeed, the idea of a "book" on a cd-rom is not one that takes my fancy. Whilst there are undoubted advantages to the author in producing a cd, there are masive disadvantages for the reader. There must be other options availabale for limited quantity print runs. I do believe that there are print-on-demand services available.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kefford View Post
    Whilst the content might be very good indeed, the idea of a "book" on a cd-rom is not one that takes my fancy. Whilst there are undoubted advantages to the author in producing a cd, there are masive disadvantages for the reader. There must be other options availabale for limited quantity print runs. I do believe that there are print-on-demand services available.

Steve
    There are advantages to CD ROM. For one, it's much easier and cheaper to mail. Were I to print it, it would cost a minimum of $13 per copy with no minimum number of copies, and a minimum of about $4,000 for a "limited print run," which exceeds by far the projected gross revenue from sales for the book. Either option would have resulted in a far higher price, which I also feel is disadvantageous to the buyer.

On the other hand, I fail to see the "masive" (sic) disadvantages for the reader, and can think of distinct advantages, such as printing only the exercises and putting them in a binder for easy reference, printing it smaller (and using a magnifying glass, I guess), or not printing it at all. Should I revise and update it, who knows? Maybe I'll send a copy of the revised CD to all prior purchasers for free. Finally, distribution on CD ROM saves trees, and that in itself is an advantage for us all.

I do understand your reluctance, and respect your opinion. I shan't expect an order from you.

As for Mr. Bowen's kind words, please everyone understand that he is a multiple-time victim of Fine Focus Workshops (with another one about to be inflicted on him!), which means by this time he is a good friend. By the way, he's also a crack photographer and an owner of mutual-friend Richard Ritter's 7x17 camera. So his opinion is biased, methinks, but credible. And greatly appreciated.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

An interesting topic indeed. . . I have to agree that I really do not care for books in PDF format either, especially a technical book. . . there is something about having print in hand. As far as limited run printing of technical books is concerned, I have an old friend that has been producing his own books for over 12 years now!

For him, printing a book of 50-150 pages is accomplished using a laser printer, comb binding machine and a laminator to make the covers. If you are supplying written and bound material to a limited audience, this is really quite a doable project. If I recall correctly, my friend told me once that his largest order was 150 copies at one time. And he usually prints 12-24 copies at a time and seems to keep up with his demand without that much of his time devoted to running his own print shop.

If I were to write a technical book on photography I certainly would look into doing my own printing. Let's face it, the demand for such books should not outstrip one’s capabilities to produce. Just a thought from the hills of West (by God) Virginia???

B Dalton

Bruce,

Perhaps you should offer it for $25 on a CD or $40 for a printed book and let your customers decide how they want to purchase it. Either way, it will be $$ well spent.

And yes, I've attended 4 Fine Focus Workshops, and if they weren't worth the time and $$, I would NEVER continue to make the 1100 mile round trip drive from Richmond. I think of Bruce, Richard and Ted as my personal mentors. Between the three of them they have an extremely diverse body of knowledge and are always willing to share their collective wisedom.

I look forward to our next meeting,

John

I can see the points on both sides. I too think that a printed book on such technical issues is better. On the other hand, I'm in Europe and the cost of shipment of a book from across the ocean would make the price higher. Not unbearably, but enough to make me think about the purchase more (I ordered the CD already). So in the end I was glad that I could order it on CD (even better would be a direct download, but there is some "hardware" included with the CD) and I will print parts or the whole book myself. And doing basically what Blacky Dalton proposes with binding and laminating...

I think the best idea is to provide both ways of obtaining the book - electronically (preferably a download), which would be cheaper, and a printed one.

Btw. the proposed book of photos by contributors of this forum will be done by LuLu.com - could this book be also prepared in such a way as to be printed on demand with similar service?
    Last edited by Jiri Vasina; 12-Jul-2007 at 02:46. Reason: clarification
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

Just ordered my copy. I have many manuals and publications in PDF form. Sections of interest or exercises can be printed out without hauling a book around.

I am hoping it is the next best thing to attending the workshops. My work schedule has been conflicting with many of the dates.

--John

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    There are advantages to CD ROM. For one, it's much easier and cheaper to mail. Were I to print it, it would cost a minimum of $13 per copy with no minimum number of copies, and a minimum of about $4,000 for a "limited print run," ......

On the other hand, I fail to see the "masive" (sic) disadvantages for the reader, ....

Finally, distribution on CD ROM saves trees, and that in itself is an advantage for us all.

Bruce,

As I said, I don't doubt the advanatges to the author. However, as I mentioned in my initial post, I do belive that there are other options that are geared directley to small intermitent print runs, that require no initial up front investment on the authors behalf. I have no experience of them, but it is an option that I thought an author would be interested in.

The massive disadvantages are that reading large amounts of text on a screen is very bad for eyes. In addition spending too long in front of a computer screen is bad for posture, and some other specific health condition. Many people, myself included, want to pursue passtimes that involve less time in front of a screen, not more. In addition, it is an awful way of reading large amounts of text. The reader is less able to to take it all in, even more so if the subject of the text is of a complex nature.

Also, to optimise for on-screen reading, the layout has to be modified compared to what is best for print. E.g. a lot more white space is required for good on-screen design. For anything other than small amounts of data, there has to be a significant compromise between on-screen layout and print layout. I.e. if it is good for print, it is bad for on-screen, and vice-versa. These are not revolutionary ideas, but very well accepted principles. Any graphic designer worth his or her salt will confirm this.

And as an aside, there is the major inconvenience of having to have a computer to read the book. If the reader was to print it out, depending upon many pages, the cost of the book would increase significantly.

AFAIAC, these disadvantages are massive.

I have been working in IT for a number of years, and have often heard the idea of migrating to the "paperless office". for many reasons, including those above, this concept is generally a myth.

I do accept that there are advantages to electronic format, specifically searching. This is a very major advantage. Also, hyperlinking, if done well, can also be an advantage. However, to do this well, requires a very different document structure.

Concerning the tree issue, I passionatley believe in conservation, but using paper from a well managed source, can be beneficial to the environment.

I wll not be purchasing a copy, and this is in no way based upon the content. If it was available, at a reasonable price, in hardcopy format, I would then look at it again.

Steve

Lascassas, TN

I received the CD at the Intro Workshop during the View Camera Conference in Louisville. We did several of the exercises during the workshop and since returning home I have continue them.

I like the printable format. I print a copy, use it during the exercise, write notes on it, and utterly trash it. Back in the office, I print a new copy, transfer my notes and file a clean copy. This is a very usable CD and Bruce presents the topics in a readable form.

I personally like the CD-ROM format and would recommend it.

Bill
    Bill Kumpf