Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: daylight tank for 4x5, 4-6 sheets?

Re: daylight tank for 4x5, 4-6 sheets?

The Nikkor tank works fine, as long as it's in good condition and properly adjusted. It can process up to 12 sheets of 4x5" at a time in 1200ml of solution.

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by davidbram View Post
    I've been using a Jobo 2521 tank with a 2509n reel. I inverted it so it required 1250ml of liquid. I had some problems at the start but things are smooth now.

The reel can hold 6 sheets of film but I only process 4 at a time.

Check my previous posts for more about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    I got a second-hand JOBO CPE-2, a 2521 tank, a 2509n spiral and two print drums (2830 and 2840). Works just great - 6.5x9cm, 9x12cm and 4x5" in the spiral, 5x7", 13x18cm, 18x24cm, 8x10" and 24x30cm in the print drums. I do both B&W and E-6, although I haven't developed larger slides than 13x18cm yet.
    The Jobo 2521 tank and 2509n spiral have my interest after looking at all the rest of the options! They look simple and inexpensive, and use 560ml which isn't to bad (though I assume it would need that same amount if you had 1 or 6 sheets regardless) BHPhoto has the tank for just under $40, and the spiral for just under $28.

How easy is the spiral to use? Is it easy to load and unload it with out fiddling with the sheets to much?

Would this spiral and tank work well for relatively short developing times? (4 to 5 minutes) Or would I be best to adjust my mixture for longer development times with this combo?

David, I'm searching for your posts right now, thank you! What exactly do you mean by you 'inverted it'. Does this mean you are inverting the tank for agitation as upposed to rolling it? I guess I'd need some sort of rolling cage or something to roll the tank then, or a motorized one like the Uni link. I don't see any information on where to purchase a motorized roller though, anyone know?

Thanks for the info, I am pleased at the amount of great replies to my question, yall are very friendly

daniel,
    yes I am agitating it but inverting the tank. Since I use Rodinal and do my film 1+50, I am using 25ml of rodinal. Not a lot. This works really well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    I use the Combi-plan and Jobo Expert drums. The Combi works well, but the retaining clip that holds the sheets in place must be inserted very carefully; if it is too tight or too loose then the sheets may come loose. This is not a problem if you practise loading it in the light a few times.
    I agree. I have used Combiplan for years and it works guite well with a little practice. It is very useful to sacrifice a few sheets of film for daylight practice. My biggest concern is that the Combiplan takes some time to fill up using the funnel. I try not to use short development times for this reason. If I have to, I pour chemistry in darkness with the lid off.

A few years ago I got my hands on a Jobo ATL with two Expert-drums (3010 and 3006). I have moved to another town for a few years and could not bring the ATL with me. I did bring the drums and a roller base and use them for E6-processing in the bathroom.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

There is a special "sheet film loader" for the JOBO reels, but I've never used one. Never felt the need for one either; loading 4x5" is quite easy even in a changing bag.

The fill- and drain times are short enough with the JOBO tanks that it shouldn't be a problem. I think the 2531 (for two 4x5" spirals) drained completely from totally full in less than six seconds last time I used it.

Are you looking at the short 1 reel Jobo tank? Make sure it will fit on the motor base you want to use. May be too short.

I'm using CombiPlan tank, it is quite leaky, has some quirks (you need to agitate carefully so as not to push the sheets out of the holder with the fluid moving inside), takes a rather long time to drain and fill. But in the end it serves it's purpose well (for BW as well as C-41 processing).

If you acquire one of them cheaply, it's OK; but if I were pondering this decision again, I would go for the Jobo 2521 tank and 2509n spiral...
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

Daniel I suggest you look at the BTZS tubes. They use very small amounts of chemistry. Are very simple to use and allow the mixing in one development run sheets requiring different times, sheets of different iso [say fp4 and hp5] in the same development run. You can process a run with different developers in different tubes.

Talk to Dennis at the View camera store and he can give you good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiri Vasina View Post
    I'm using CombiPlan tank, it is quite leaky, has some quirks (you need to agitate carefully so as not to push the sheets out of the holder with the fluid moving inside), takes a rather long time to drain and fill. But in the end it serves it's purpose well (for BW as well as C-41 processing).

If you acquire one of them cheaply, it's OK; but if I were pondering this decision again, I would go for the Jobo 2521 tank and 2509n spiral...
    I adopted the method on the main page

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ve-developing/

While it does require darkness, the mess is negligible and the negatives are very nicely done. It also allows semi-stand development and the negatives are free of any damage.

The tops of the tanks can be popped on and off if staying in the dark is a problem for you.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Jiri Vasina View Post

Then you have a defective tank and a broken film clip.

Return it to us or the store you bought it from and it would be replaced.

The CombiPlan does not leak, it is easy to load when you use the included film loading guide, the film can not fall out if you do not break the Film Holding Clip (the clip is broken if you do not slightly pinch the two sprung sides when removing it as per the instructions.)

The fill and drain times should be the same but you must twist the fill connector a 1/4 turn to open the air path for quickest filling and draining.