Thread: Arca B1/Z1 fliplock/screw QR experience?

Daniel Geiger

Arca B1/Z1 fliplock/screw QR experience?

I am looking into the Arca Z1 ballhead (following the recent article in Magnachrom). I have a sick B1 (pre-tension screw does not work anymore). So wonder whether to get the B1 fixed or upgraded to a Z1. The Z1 single pane type comes in two QR holding options: flip lock, and screw lock. I use an Arca F-line classic 4x5" with lenses up to 720 mm and much 1:1 shots.

- Can the flip lock hold the whole set-up including downward shots?
    - Can the tension of the flip lock be adjusted without tools? Hopfully it is easier and more straight forward than the long bracket flip locks on the AS.
    - Are there other reasons to upgrade from B1 to Z1, besides being a bit lighter?
    - Any experiences positive or negative?

Thanks for sharing!

Re: Arca B1/Z1 fliplock/screw QR experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Geiger View Post

- Can the flip lock hold the whole set-up including downward shots?
    - Can the tension of the flip lock be adjusted without tools? Hopfully it is easier and more straight forward than the long bracket flip locks on the AS.
    - Are there other reasons to upgrade from B1 to Z1, besides being a bit lighter?
    - Any experiences positive or negative?

Thanks for sharing!
    Hi Dan,

1) Yes, I don't see this as a problem.

2) Yes, there is a knurled wheel; it's easily rotated with a thumb or finger but it can be over-loosened resulting in disassembly - so you must take care not to over do it!

3) I don't have a Z1, I have a B1 with flip lock. The Zs are less expensive.

4)Some of us have experienced failure of the fliplock in the closed position (it fails to click lock). I had to send mine in for replacement just recently. See recent contributions to this thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=24137

I like the fliplock and learned to trust it over the past year, but I'm a bit worried that this failure discussed in the above thread will recur.

Eric

I bought a b1 with the flip lock in december 2005. Right out of the box, the flip lock would stick when a qr plate was installed. In other words, the camera couldn't be removed without sticking something like a key behind the lock and pulling the little textured pin outwards. I didn't have another head so i had to use the b1 at the time. B&H wouldn't take it back since it was past the 14 day period. I contacted arca swiss and found out they don't fix their own equipment nor wood they send me a replacement. I sent it to the company in chicago for a fix and they fixed something else that wasn't wrong instead. They said they had a bunch of heads come back with lock-up problems involving the ball. Good to know. I still have the head and don't usually have flip lock problems unless it's below freezing. It works great even with my 8x10.
    Would i buy another arca swiss product. Hell No! Too much $$$ for something too fall apart right out of the box.

vinny

Daniel Geiger

Dear Eric and Vinny,

thanks for the quick feedback and the pointer to the previous thread. I searched the forum for "z1" but for some reason such short terms are not searchable, so missed that one. Flip lock does not sound like a good option, so rather the venerable screw. I also noticed in that thread the Markin 20 head, which looks quite impressive, almost identical to the B1/Z1, but has a level in the QR base, which is nice. Hmmm ...

The only problem that I have with either B1 or Z1 is that when work with monorail, the bottom pan is hard to lock.