Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: Getting Excited!!

Re: Getting Excited!!

Your studio lights have an optical slave trigger which is set off by a flash. This trigger can be turned off by a switch or when a PC cord is attached.

Well Jeremy, I turned the studio flash model light off, had the flash on with nothing connected, the camera phone away from the flash, and both went off.

The camera has a built in Sony Cybershot camera, so anything you'd expect from one of them could be in that technology.

Doesn't really matter how or why it's happening, I know for my own reference that my camera phone and studio flashes somehow fire together.

Does your cameraphone have a pre-flash or does it just fire one flash?

You didn't respond with the model of studio flash you're using... that would help clear up the whole thing. Even if the cameraphone is pointed away any bounced/stray light above a certain threshold will set off the trigger and just because it sets the flash off does not mean it is synced. Your testing method (the camera away from the flash) wouldn't tell you definitively if the cameraphone was syncing with the studio flash or just setting it off during a pre-flash or regular flash from the cameraphone and whether or not this would affect the exposure.

Pointing the studio flash at something at a high angle of incidence (say the Razzle again) with the modeling light off and the camera pointed at the Razzle will tell you if it's syncing with the cameraphone as the studio flash would overpower the flash from the cameraphone and throw shadows. To then follow through you would also have to take a shot right before or after with the same subject and the cameraphone in the same spots and turn the studio flash completely off and compare to the photo w/ the flash.

I am surprised that you don't care how/why it's happening. As a photographer if you don't know how your equipment is working/why it is doing what it is doing then how can you hope to replicate and use it to its full potential? Plus, I'm just intrigued by how things work.

Jeremy your responses are brusk and critical. I DO wish to know how it works, but not right at this moment. At this moment I wish to enjoy my Razzle camera, and the phone-cam malarky can wait.

Thank you for your response, it will help me determine this in future when I have the time to experiment. As for the camera model, all the equipment is packed away now and I can't be bothered to get it all out - it's 9:30pm and I'd like to relax with MJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Jeremy your responses are brusk and critical.
    I like to just get to the point and my testing methodology/writing comes from scientific technical writing experience. They weren't meant to be personal attacks at all, but blunt observations and assessments to get to the heart of the matter.

Have fun with the Razzle (and MJ )! I'm quite interested in hand-held 4x5 myself, though I'm currently at a crossroads since my Graflex SLR needs a new shutter curtain.

Ash, It's all all a rip off (did you know that you've paid V.A.T. on the postage & packing?). At least you're gonna get it delivered by 2-00p.m. I have to wait 'till after 5-00p.m. Probably our crap motorway system.
    Pete.

Off camera flash idea

Hi Ash....here's my idea of the perfect flash to use either with a Razzle or whatever.
    I utilised a cheaply priced paint roller boom handle....it extends to 3.6 meters, is lightweight and simple. I removed the end fitting and machined a plug with 1/4 BSW thread, fiited a stainless screw and locked it in with super glue. It looks similar to your Razzle's tripod socket adapter.

I fit the radio controlled Flashball to the end and either have someone hold it, prop it up in a tree or swing it off my Manfrotto. It's light, quick and easy to use. I used it to secure a great shot of ten members of the Sunwrae Ensemble for their publicity photo. You can see the result here:

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle...e/sunwrae.html

Nearly all the shots on this page were taken using my Flashball.

Anything off camera is preferable to on camera flash.....that method kept me away from electronic flash for years, but now I'm hooked

Cheers.

Flashball Pole

Here's a couple of close up shots of the doings......

A bit of DIY once again without the inflated cost

Hi Dean, that's very ingenious

Jeremy I didn't take any of your comments personally, my attitude may have been to a harsh two hours in class, 30 minutes of which was spent arguing with an avid digital user who just didn't want to learn about medium format, let alone large format. THEN she expected my help when it came to pushing and pulling film!!

Pete, I don't know what's going on with this country, but it's not great I can say that much!

Ok, you buggers kept me glued to the net way toooo long getting excited over yet another Razzle Dean made me a wonderful 612 conversions sometimes back. Congra on your new toy, Ash. Post some pix's from the camera soon.

Robert