Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: foto3/VC Conference - merged thread

Re: View Camera Confrence 2008

Yes, CC is now a gambling resort but Victor is pretty much the same as it was 20 and more years ago.

steve

Smile Re: View Camera Confrence 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Gasteazoro View Post
    Did not know you were modeling too Diane...
    LOL! Well Jorge, that is me writing in my notebook on the left of the picture with the camera blocking the model.

When I was taking the photo I was so fascinated with the camera that I forgot about the model

steve simmons

Dave Karp

Okay,

After all these years of talking on the phone to him from so many miles away, I have to know: Is one of the gentlemen in the photo labeled "Trade Show Midwest Photo" Jim Andracki? If so, which one?

Scott Davis

Yes, the guy with the curly hair and the blue shirt is Jim. Great guy, very easy to work with and talk to. One of the few left out there who truly understands customer service.

Dave Karp

Thanks Scott.

Yes, very easy to talk to and to be his customer. I have had many enjoyable conversations with him. Its good to be able to put a face with the voice.

So, will it involve the Center for Fine Art Photography in any way? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Kino View Post
    APUG was created to create a safe harbor, in as much as is possible, for traditional photochemical practices and theory. Digital information is rampant on the Internet, but sites specifically devoted to traditional photochemical are few and far between.

Since no one mentioned it (or I didn't see if if it was posted), www.hybridphoto.com is the sister site of APUG that directly addresses hybrid photographic techniques and many APUG members have a membership there as well. While it the membership of this site is not as plentiful as APUG, it certainly has well informed, rich content.
    Where does the process that many color film photographers use fit into the picture? I shoot exclusively film, and print exclusively on traditional papers. I just happen to use a Laser or LED type printer to do it. For that I have to wade through all the digital content on hybridphoto? I think not. APUG had a place for such things, it was called the "Grey Area". Now it is gone, and anyone asking about such things, immediately has their thread locked. APUG is a great place, but it is becoming more and more, a B&W fan club only.

I will try to put the event on my calendar. Like Robert, I only shoot color transparencies. Both of us have been shooting and printing our work the same way for a long time. I hope the event will include us, have discussions for us, and not set us aside as outcasts. I frequently feel that way at APUG where color is not nearly as well considered or reviewed as B&W. I may try to stay after the event and shoot. Colorado is a beautiful state.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    Where does the process that many color film photographers use fit into the picture? I shoot exclusively film, and print exclusively on traditional papers. I just happen to use a Laser or LED type printer to do it. For that I have to wade through all the digital content on hybridphoto? I think not. APUG had a place for such things, it was called the "Grey Area". Now it is gone, and anyone asking about such things, immediately has their thread locked. APUG is a great place, but it is becoming more and more, a B&W fan club only.
    I do the same with color, Robert. Thanks to your advice. A minor difference in semantics, though - I shoot 100% film for "art" purposes, using digi for snaps, eb** shots, etc. I print all my b&w in my own darkroom. I don't print my color shots, I have the trannies scanned and printed elsewhere (again, thanks to you). What this means to me is that, even though I technically use them, I don't care a lick about the particular digital techniques involved as long as they (the lab) do a good job for me. Yeah, I'm mainly a b&w kinda guy, but I won't give up the 10 or 20% color that I do. My wife wouldn't let me. Nor do I want to spend any more of my free time in front of a computer screen. I guess what I'm saying is that I fail to see the problem. I applaud the line that APUG has drawn, and the problems I have with the site and a few of it's denizens have nothing to do with it's A vs. D stance.

That said, how's your summer going? I really need to get back over there for a visit. I miss the plate lunch with 2 scoops rice.

Bruce