Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Rules for NYC Photography

Re: New Rules for NYC Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Well, that's certainly one way to get rid of my tourist dollars. Guess I won't be spending much time in NYC anymore. I've always liked the architecture in Chicago better anyway.
    The architecture in Kiev is better than the architecture in NYC also

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    The article suggests the permit will be free, like the current tripod permit, which usually takes a day to get. I think they used to require liability insurance, and then they removed that requirement in the current version.
    I didn't realize there was once a requirement for insurance. Anyone living in nyc (including myself) is aware of the permit requirement for tripods and we have shot without permits. Worst case is some cop tells you to pick up your gear and move. I avoid highly trafficked areas or I shoot them early on weekends to avoid crowds. That given, the requirement for $1 mil liability insurance is absurd.

Why can't they just have a requirement that amateurs have a large letter 'A' sewn on their shirts so the police can differentiate you from the pros.

Heck,

Here in Montana, when your a photographer for hire and advertise your services as such, we are required to carry a million in liability insurance, I have had a bond since the day I started work for hire...

Dave

"The architecture in Chicago/Kiev/Singapore/Bradford is better than the architecture in NYC also"

Next thing you know, someone will claim that the Red Sox are whopping the Yankees*.

*They are.
    Last edited by Helen Bach; 29-Jun-2007 at 09:04. Reason: Explanation added. Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    Heck,

Here in Montana, when your a photographer for hire and advertise your services as such, we are required to carry a million in liability insurance, I have had a bond since the day I started work for hire...

Dave
    Why? A doctor should have laibility insurance. A photographer should be given some slack.

Pete,

According to yesterday's paper NYC has the largest population in the US. Over 8,300,000 people. That is larger then the next 3 city's population combined!

Add to that the number of commuters and tourists in NYC every day.

NYC has a police force of about 30,000 members last I read.

How would 30,000 police be able to enforce a rule limiting photography of casual snapshooters with the number of people they would have to watch? And how would the courts keep up processing all the offenders?

Chicken little over-reacted and it seems people who read the article did also.

If you are shooting professionally then you probably might need a permit and insurance in the future. If you are walking down the street with your camera around your neck no one is going to stop you for taking pictures of daily life in NY - or any other US city.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Police interpreting the law? Now that's the scary thought. They are supposed to enforce the law, and when they start interpreting it, you know that at least some checks and balances have been broken.
    That is indeed a very scary thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Roody View Post
    Why? A doctor should have laibility insurance. A photographer should be given some slack.
    Well what happens, if a heavy light stand falls over a conks a client in the head? or destroys a valuable piece of art your photographing for a client?

There are many reasons that a photographer would require insurance, I don't think a person working as a photographer should be given anymore of a break than any other professional business...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Pete,

According to yesterday's paper NYC has the largest population in the US. Over 8,300,000 people. That is larger then the next 3 city's population combined!

Add to that the number of commuters and tourists in NYC every day.

NYC has a police force of about 30,000 members last I read.

How would 30,000 police be able to enforce a rule limiting photography of casual snapshooters with the number of people they would have to watch? And how would the courts keep up processing all the offenders?

Chicken little over-reacted and it seems people who read the article did also.

If you are shooting professionally then you probably might need a permit and insurance in the future. If you are walking down the street with your camera around your neck no one is going to stop you for taking pictures of daily life in NY - or any other US city.
    Agreed. NYC also has law against jay-walking. They would have to lock up half the population if they decided to enforce that law.

Per the article:

"New rules being considered by the Mayor’s Office of Film, Theater and Broadcasting would require any group of two or more people who want to use a camera in a single public location for more than a half hour to get a city permit and insurance.

The same requirements would apply to any group of five or more people who plan to use a tripod in a public location for more than 10 minutes, including the time it takes to set up the equipment.

Julianne Cho, assistant commissioner of the film office, said the rules were not intended to apply to families on vacation or amateur filmmakers or photographers. "

Note the two or more & five or more aspect.