Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Purely Theoretical Musings on Resolutions and Formats...

Re: Purely Theoretical Musings on Resolutions and Formats...

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Ladd View Post
    Hello Sandy,

After reading your comments on the Mamiya 7, 4x5 movements and scanner resolution I wonder why you don't shoot with a 6x9 view camera and superior lenses such as the Rodenstock S series?

I have considered selling my TK 45 and moving to the smaller TK. I scan with a Imacon and would enjoy a more portable system. I hike long distances and the TK with 3 lenses can hurt.

Spencer Ladd
    Could you not find a roll film back for the TK 45 and experiment with the smaller format to make sure it will suit your needs?

The major issue I have with MF is that you need a drum scanner or professional flatbed with true resolution of over 5000 spi to pull out all of the detail in a negative made with a very sharp lens.

Sandy King

Yes, I have a roll back and I am going to make some test. But, I guess I need to ask the question in a different way.

I have access to an Imacon. The maximum resolution for 4x5 is 2040ppi/16bits. Would I get equal results or better if I had the 6x9 and used a scanner with 5000 ppi? I thought the image size effects the resolution of the scan?

A more portable camera that gives me full movements would be ideal if I could get the same quality. I print most images 28x36 inches at 240ppi. If my calculations are correct that is about the limit for a 4x5 scan at 2040ppi. I am printing to an Epson 9600. One is dedicated to color and the other NK7.

How are you printing your final images (print size, paper, printer, etc…) and why do you need to scan at such high resolution? Do you convert the files to another set of numbers after the scan?

Spencer Ladd

Yes, I have a roll back and I am going to make some test. But, I guess I need to ask the question in a different way.

I have access to an Imacon. The maximum resolution for 4x5 is 2040ppi/16bits. Would I get equal results or better if I had the 6x9 and used a scanner with 5000 ppi? I thought the image size effects the resolution of the scan?

A more portable camera that gives me full movements would be ideal if I could get the same quality. I print most images 28x36 inches at 240ppi. If my calculations are correct that is about the limit for a 4x5 scan at 2040ppi. I am printing to an Epson 9600. One is dedicated to color and the other NK7.

How are you printing your final images (print size, paper, printer, etc…) and why do you need to scan at such high resolution? Do you convert the files to another set of numbers after the scan?

Spencer Ladd

Spencer,

If the effective resolution of your scanner for MF is really 5000 spi, and if you can can about 80-100 lp/mm of detail on your negative, and if you use a fine grain film, I think it is likely that you can get as much quality from 6X9 cm MF as from 4X5 scanning at 2040 spi.

My comments about needing a drum scan to pull all of the detail from a MF negative with 80-100 lp/mm of detail is a theoretical assumption that one would want to pull maximum quality from the negative, not because I make very large print. My own printing is done with digital negatives in carbon transfer or pt/pd, and I tend to print small rather than large. For example, I just printed last night sixteen 5X7 digital negatives from 6X4.5 cm original negatives that I scanned at 2540 spi on the Leafscan 45. I will contact these same size in carbon transfer for the portfolio.

Sandy King

THANKS. I understand. Now I will do my own research. Do you give workshops on digital negatives and carbon prints?

Spencer

THANKS. I understand. Now I will do my own research. Do you give workshops on digital negatives and carbon prints?

Spencer
    I am scheduled to do a workshop on carbon transfer printing in June at the Photogrpher's Formulary in Montana. I also do one-on-one workshops in my own workspace in South Carolina.

Sandy King

I grew up in Atlanta and my parents live there. I travel south from Boston occasionally to visit them. Where is the nearest airport? If believe you are a professor at Clemson University? How do I make appointments for your workspace? I would need to learn the entire process. Do you a website?

Spencer

I grew up in Atlanta and my parents live there. I travel south from Boston occasionally to visit them. Where is the nearest airport? If believe you are a professor at Clemson University? How do I make appointments for your workspace? I would need to learn the entire process. Do you a website?

Spencer
    I do not have a personal web site at this time but you can read about carbon printing in my article at http://unblinkingeye.com//Articles/Carbon/carbon.html

There is also a small portfolio of my work here. http://store01.prostores.com/servlet...7;3ASandy+King

Nearest airport to my home is GSP (Greenville-Spartanburg, SC). I live about 20 minutes from the airport.

I was a professor at Clemson University for many years but retired last year.

I prefer to schedule carbon workshops October through May. In the summer, with high humidity, I like to print with the iron processes (vandyke, kallitype or pt/pd) so I am usually off my carbon game from June through September.

Sandy

they test Minox lenses with TechPan film, and got 177 lp/mm f/3.5. so assuming TechPan itself has a resolution of 320 lp/mm, then that means that Minox lens has an aerial resolution of 360 lp/mm.

http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-an...?msg_id=000KCo

they also test the Nikon 17-35 f/2.8 lens and also got over 400 lp/mm aerial resolution (200 lp/mm on TechPan).

So 35mm can hold its own, with the best microfilms. But there is no really good color films, even Velvia 50 can't hold nearly as much resolution as medium speed ISO100 B&W film.