Thread: In the Field Storage Containers for Exposed 4x5 QuickLoads

In the Field Storage Containers for Exposed 4x5 QuickLoads

I go on several extended (2-4 day) hiking trips every year and was curious what container(s) most people use to store their exposed 4x5 film. I will mostly be using Fuji QuickLoads of Velvia and Provia. Any suggestions on storage and care in the field would be greatly appreciated.

Try those air tight boxes for storing food in, though I'm not sure there is one that is a good fit.

If you have enough of them, they are very stiff and won't bend. I put around 20 per large ZipLoc bag.

I just put them into the box (out of the foil bag) as I expose them. When I complete a box, I put them back into the foil bag and tape it shut. I keep the holder and the film in the box in my backpack for protection. When I send the film off for processing, I just wrap the Fuji box and mail it. It usually comes back in the same box. If I really go nuts and expose a lot of film, the bulk of the boxes does add up. I try to carry in my pack only what I need for the day. The rest of the film (exposed and unexposed) stays in camp. I've heard of floating the film in a plastic bag in a stream to keep it cool, but I'm not brave enough to try that trick! Happy trails!

I put them back in the foil pouch in the quickload box, but place them in the opposite way as the adjacent sheets. In Japan, Fuji offers a slightly different QL holder (has a thing where you can inprint a red "E" on the top white part of the sheet to mark it as exposed [redundant, since they still have the exposed stickers] and a soft storage pouch...this, for twice the B&H price of a QL holder). I've seen this soft pouch used to store exposed quickloads (but they were does the holder go?).

i use box they come in. I also use emptied boxes to carry Polaroid materials in.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I believe, I will try the same box they came in as most other suggested. It seems this would be the most "light-tight" solution.

If you carry a small changing bag (or can make-shift one), you could unload the exposed quickloads into a standard 4x5 film box. This would be extremely light-tight, secure and compact.