Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laser pointer focusing ... ?

Re: Laser pointer focusing ... ?

Putting the two flashlights out is what works for me. Better, are the small lights that have a cluster of LEDs. Point them back at the lens, and it's easy to see that the light is in focus when the LEDs resolve.

I tried the laser (even different laser shapes), but the spots were just too small to see. I do this especially when using movements.

Quote Originally Posted by RDKirk View Post
    Putting the two flashlights out is what works for me. Better, are the small lights that have a cluster of LEDs. Point them back at the lens, and it's easy to see that the light is in focus when the LEDs resolve.

I tried the laser (even different laser shapes), but the spots were just too small to see. I do this especially when using movements.
    Would somebody please give a URL for the "cluster of LEDs" that RD just mentioned?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Rösler View Post
    Does this still work when using movements?
    It has for me. You are still adjusting to get an object sharp on the gg. The small light is just a brighter target than a rock or a tree in the "Deep Dark Woods".

Besides being cheap and readily available, I like tools that serve more than one purpose. They give more bang for your packing, carrying, buck.

John

- Greg -

that is not a good idea. Imagine you get some 20% reflected back into your eye. It happened to me once at university. One of young post-docs made a mistake during simple difraction experiment and threw very shortly the laser beam across the audience (small pencil - sized laser for basic experiments at school). I was the only one with the bad luck - the beam hit my eye directly. I could see a red spot for an hour .... though I could not focuse on it

- all -

sounds like a small LED based torch is a better solution - will give it a try next time. Still I have to find a way how to attach it on the tripod to have the light steady and my hands free.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    - Greg -

that is not a good idea. Imagine you get some 20% reflected back into your eye.
    How? I wouldn't be looking through the ground glass while shinning the light through it. I would be placing the light at the ground glass and shinning it through the lens onto the subject. Then focus the light on the subject with your eyes looking at the subject and not through the ground glass, it should indicate a sharp focus at the film plane. It would have to be a pretty low light situtation to see the red dot I would imagine. Probably any LED light would work this way. Again, it's just a theory.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    Probably any LED light would work this way. Again, it's just a theory.
    And more theory: I think that a laser would work better than 'any LED light' because the laser will tend to act more as a point source at the ground surface of the ground glass. Any other small light will tend to act as two sources, each in a different plane: one at the lamp (with the size of the lamp) and one at the ground surface (with the size of the area of ground glass that is illuminated). If you wanted to use any light, then the old trick of shining a light through a small aperture at the location of the film plane could be the thing to do, if it was bright enough.

Best,
    Helen

And if Helen says, it's probably true.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

"Would somebody please give a URL for the "cluster of LEDs" that RD just mentioned"

Don't know about a url but any Home center or camping supply store will have several small flashlights with mutiple leds. Also the led style head lamps will do the same trick

I have used the small lithium based flashlights that are more powerful than a maglite. They work great and are about 3-4" long and 3/4" wide. I usually shine it on my subject as I am focusing either in ny hand or an a clip somewhere. Of course it helps if you have a second pair of hands. I used the surefire brand of lights, since they are designed for a tactical envrionment, they can take a massive beating and still work. Of course you do pay a premium on these. You can find them online or at your local gun/sport shop. They make both bulb and LED models. The on I use is listed at:

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/.../198/sesent/00

Here is a smaller version of it

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/.../803/sesent/00

and an LED version of their lights:

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/...4263/sesent/00

I have had mine for over 5 years and dropped it many times and it still works. Hope this helps.

They also make less expensive plastic models of their lights for about $36.00 here ia link to one:

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/.../878/sesent/00

Regards,

Miguel
    Last edited by M Salhuana; 29-Jun-2007 at 14:41. Reason: New link