Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser pointer focusing ... ?

Question Laser pointer focusing ... ?

Hi,

we offten talk how hard it can be to focus our (mostly) wide angle lenses in low light and wheter to swap the f/8 version for f/5.6 or even f/4.5. Here comes my idea (though I am sure somebody had to think of it already) - what about using a lasr pointer? At least for shots or architecture or so - when there are no peole in the scene.
    I have a personal experience shoooting inside (with fujinon 125/5.6) an old grape-pressing room wehre my exposure was ~ 16s at f/22 and when I got the film from the lab I could clearly see I miss-focused the picture. Then I got the idea of using a small on camera (or tripod) fixed laser pointer via some semi-stiff arm (or micro-ballhead) that would alllow for different directions setting and then using the little spot for foccusing.

A laser pointer for $10 should be plenty.

What do you think?

matus

Re: Laser pointer focusing ... ?

I tried this and while it worked for getting the intended shot, it wasn't as helpful as I thought it would be. It's surprisingly difficult to focus on an undifferentiated tiny red dot as opposed to even a pen light placed in the scene. But if a penlight isn't an option, then the laser is better than nothing.

A paper focusing target (preferably made of thin paper) between a flashlight and the camera works wonders.

Those super powerful new flashlights with lithium cells work well. I have one which is tiny, takes 2 CR123s and is brighter than a big maglite. Just buy one and leave it in your camera bag - very handy.

I have a small high intensity LED pen light in my bag. You can get these from the police suppliers. It will throw enough light to focus for 30-40 feet.

I haven't tried this since I don't have a laser light but what if you shine the laser light through the ground glass onto the target you wish to focus. Would you be able to see that?
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

I have had great luck with a trick taught me on APUG. In the dark of the deep woods, place two small flashlights. One at the furthest spot you want in focus, another at the nearest point. Mark the spots on your focusing scale if you have one or spot on the camera. Use the rule of 1/3 in focus toward you, 2/3s away. Some say it should be 1/2 and 1/2. You may have to tape the lights in place. Don't forget to remove them before you shoot. Obviously there are some places you can't reach with the lights. At that point move to plan B.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Powers View Post
    At that point move to plan B.
    Great. What's Plan B?

To make Plan A work!

Japan Exposures

Quote Originally Posted by John Powers View Post
    I have had great luck with a trick taught me on APUG. In the dark of the deep woods, place two small flashlights. One at the furthest spot you want in focus, another at the nearest point. Mark the spots on your focusing scale if you have one or spot on the camera. Use the rule of 1/3 in focus toward you, 2/3s away. Some say it should be 1/2 and 1/2. You may have to tape the lights in place. Don't forget to remove them before you shoot. Obviously there are some places you can't reach with the lights. At that point move to plan B.

John
    Does this still work when using movements?