Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alternative to tripods

Re: Alternative to tripods

Cool stuff Dirk! I look forward to your comments on the practicality of working this way in an urban environment. You might prompt me to convert one of my Super Clamps to a 4x5 mount.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

I don't know what you are photographing, so this may not be relevant, but in the distant past I used a Bogen Variable Friction Magic Arm (2929; 2930 with lever lock), along with a Super Clamp, to give me more flexibility. I was a little dubious before I tried it, but it worked well attaching a heavy Nikon F4/400mm f/3.5 combination to a railing to photograph birds in the treetops from a cramped 2nd story walkway in Honolulu.

To keep things from coming loose, always rig it so that the weight is on the side that causes screws to tighten rather than loosen. That should take care of the problem.

Japan Exposures

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    To keep things from coming loose, always rig it so that the weight is on the side that causes screws to tighten rather than loosen. That should take care of the problem.
    Yes, I thought of that, but sometimes that's not possible.

That Bogen Variable Friction Magic Arm looks useful, but perhaps a little too light for LF weight.

Hello Dirk,

I happened to run across some other items, and some images that might help visualize some alternatives. While viewing the website of Stephan Romer, I noticed some of the items he uses to clamp his 4x5 onto a rig. Check under the MO section in the top right menu, then scroll threw until you find the motorcycle rig with the graffiti in the background. Looks like a magic arm, super clamp, and some sort of flat plate, all attached to a rig. I think something like that plate and strap system might work well, perhaps in combination with super clamps, etc. Looks like either a Sinar or Arca Swiss on that rig, all hanging sideways in the air . . . amazing.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Another neat gizmo for hanging LF weight equipment off one or another improbable perch is the Sinar Clamping stand. It consists of a screw clamp and attachments for Sinar rails, and a sliding fixture to hang a camera off of. My words don't tell what it does so well.

Sinar's old book for their camera system shows a 4x5 Sinar P hanging off the bottom of a ceiling girder, attached by their Clamping Stand.

It also clamps to things like railings doors, flat panels etc.

Best,

C

That might be the item in use by Stephan Romer. Unfortunately, Sinar no longer list it, nor does it seem that any of the major retailers have one. Seems mostly to be a flat plate with head mount in the center, and some clamping slots near the edges. Might not be super tough to make something similar, or find something that functions in a similar way. I wonder how heavy that plate might be . . .

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio