Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pocket book editions cooperative?

Re: Pocket book editions cooperative?

Quote Originally Posted by Jen Waak View Post
    Bill Gates owns Corbis, which is why he supports SnapVillage.

I'm presently a contractor at Corbis. I haven't done any looking in to this, but the communication that came out this morning was to encourage people to sign up. You need a PayPal account to receive royalties, and you will receive a 30% royalty. You can upload up to 5 images at a time, or mail in a CD/DVD (instructions apparently the web site). They will be doing some minor editing (although I don't know what), and will add keywords for searching. They have a pretty good FAQ here: http://www.snapvillage.com/FAQ.aspx

-Jen
    http://www.pdnpulse.com/2007/06/corbis-under-th.html

http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/newswir..._id=1003602871
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Note that in most of the responses to poco's question we are talking chalk and cheese

Most of the services listed are about selling stock (or micro stock) and in most cases is about selling rights usage to images.

Poco is talking about selling a limited number of individual art prints as part of a broader strategy of print selling
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

Which is why I added NancyScans to the other posted sites; they have a print service for those interested in selling fine art. My suggestion of stock sites was because I think he will have better odds selling cheap images as stock, than as fine prints. Despite a handful of known people pushing for low cost fine art, I think that completely devalues art prints . . . might as well put your effort into pet rocks, or bead work.

Sorry to seem harsh, but when you look at selling anything, if you treat it like a business decision, then maybe it will work. Go about something half . . . way . . . then good luck making it work. I hate to see anyone appear like they might not be getting anywhere, or putting out lots of effort for little reward.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Yeah, it looks like Nancyscans comes closest to doing what I'm looking for, but even their reasonable set-up fees make it impractical. The clamor to participate shows this idea was pretty much in lead balloon territory anyway.

this is one of the more interesting comments I've seen on this issue:

If for no other reason, this is a good idea in that it breaks through the dominant marketing conventions of the day. Yes, I hope it works and taps into a fringe segment of the market that has been waiting for a long time for such an opportunity.

A lot of potential buyers have had to make do with posters and/or sidewalk-show imagery, yet are educated, savvy and hunger for more.

The world of the arts merchants has encysted itself in its own drag shadow for decades now, and is, historically speaking, overly ripe for change.

from photographer and critic Luis Gottandi