Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodak drops T-Max 100 4x5 Readyloads

Kodak drops T-Max 100 4x5 Readyloads

Amazing, I just read on the Kodak website that Kodak has now introduced single s heet Readyloads to replace the double sheet packets. They will work in the Kodak , Polaroid, and Fuji holders. Thre will be 6 films available, none however will be B+W films.

Check out www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/features/featuresIndex.shtml

I am truly baffled. First they drop 5x7 now B+W Ready loads. I am seriously cons idering switching to Polaroid Type 55 P/N film. Over the years Mark Klett has ha d excellent results with this film. It can be selenium toned and has cool edges.

Why does Fuji not market the Neopan 80 4x5 Quickloads in the USA?

Why does Kodak do suck stupid things?

Why do we put up with this nonsense?

Why don't we all take up something intelligent......like golf? At least the golf club manufacturer's have some Madison Avenue sense. They know how to separate t he golfers and their money!

Depressed, amazed, and down trodden.....

Bill

Anybody besides me hear a loud ticking sound, slowly fading?

Just market decisions.

Apparently not enough people were buying TMX Readyloads to make it worthwhile for Kodak to keep making them; most likely Fuji doesn't import Neopan Quickload for the same reason. Ilford has repeatedly said that they don't see enough marke t for them to produce any of their films as readyloads.

Otoh...if Kodak doesn't produce a b&w film in Readyload, and Fuji doesn't impo rt Neopan...Ilford might just see a worthwhile market niche open up.

This issue has been discussed for two days on two other threads here. Correspondence with Kodak produced the corporate speak:

"At this time, only the types of films announced at Photokina will be available in the new single-sheet Readyload format (late 4th quarter in '00)...

Additional products are being considered for introduction in Readyload single-sheet format, but we are not prepared to make any announcements at this time."

I read this to mean that in Q4 they will be lucky to get the color films ramped up, so to announce more films would be to create more impatient users. I am sure that ReadyLoad sales are an issue. Many of us abandoned ReadyLoad due to failure rates. IF the single load packets work well, and sales are stronger, I think we will see TMAX return. Some aggressive behavior by Fuji would help!

TMAX isn't the only film missing from the line-up. The announcement didn't show E100SW in the new improved readyload either. I am very glad they are making this new line-up compatible with the 545 and quickload holders rather than going proprietary.

The pro market is going digital. Unless amateur shooters want to take up the slack in sales, this is what you can expect. You think the film selection is poor now, wait another 10 (or maybe 5) years. The world of photography will be very different then.

Do you, like me, want to see Tmax 100 in Readyloads? Then here is the thing we must do: Let Kodak know it!

1.) We must send e-mails to any contacts we have at Kodak including your local area sales and tech reps.

2.) Tell the vendors you buy film from that you want it and ask them to ask the sales reps who service that vendor. And ask every stock house and camera store that you deal with. Be polite but be persistant. (telling a company rep that they or their company are buttheads is not effective: you look like a crank and your opinion is discounted.)

3.) Whenever Kodak has an event or demo or workshop ask about getting Tmax reinstated in the Readyload line up. Get the reps card and drop them a polite letter or e-mail reminding them of your conversation.

4.) Spread the word in the other newgroups you frequent and urgeother members to contact Kodak as well but only if they will be using the product. Creating false demand could backfire on us and spread contact info.

5.) Be persistant.

6.) Talk about the issue in your professional organization meetings, usually there is a Kodak rep there. 7.) Oh yeah: be persistant. It is how we got Readyloads fixed in the first place and kept Kodachrome alive and killed Lumiere.

A few years back, I switched to Bromophen from Dektol. It gave me similar results and is cheaper.

This year, I switched from Kodak fixers to Photographer's Formulary TF4.

For film developers, I'm going more towards mixing my own.

For films, I'm working on switching from Kodak to Ilford. And I haven't relied on Kodak papers for years.

In short, Kodak isn't showing a commitment to B&W photography, so I'm switching to other brands before I am forced to.

You can't blame Kodak. These are marketing/business decisions based on profits and losses. But you can support those suppliers that provide you with the tools you need. The best part of it is that we have more suppliers today that we did 10 years ago, though we've lost many of the really great products that Kodak had.

I worry about the future of sheet film, if studio pro's go digital... we don't get fast films since the bulk of sheet film sales are studio based. A 400 speed chrome film would be really useful in 4x5 where the extra grain wouldn't matter much. I am actually surprised that Kodak stuck with ReadyLoad. The "processing" diagram on the web site suggests that the interior design is now just like QL. Maybe some Fuji patent ran out? Anyway, I will enjoy it while it lasts, then get shorter lenses and rollfilm backs.

I thought Kodaks website was a bit vague . After several attempts to get a clear answer through e-mail, I called the 1-800 number, I spoke to Peter Hamann, I believe. He was difficult to get info out of, but what I got is this: T-max will not be available in single sheet readyloads and it will eventually be phased out as a twin sheet readyload. He would not commit to when the product will be discontinued and he wouldn't comment on whether it would eventually come out in a single sheet readyload. Let the film hording begin !