Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Camera design: Front tilt on wooden fields?

Camera design: Front tilt on wooden fields?

Hi, all -

I'm still in planning/design stage on a camera project (one that's blossomed from 4x5 to 5x12...), and have a basic, rank noob question: In older wooden field cameras, how was front tilt implemented? I found this example (and subsequently posted patent), but was wondering if there's a more straight-forward, less clunky approach. A mechanical engineer, I'm not. My visualizing is hampered here.

I'm debating the pros and cons of the old folding bed field cameras (like my Seneca) versus the Deardorff/Ebony style of telescoping beds. The folding bed design seems much simpler to implement, but that dadgummed front tilt throws a wrench in the works. And I think I could fake the front tilt using rear tilt, tripod head tilt, and front rise, but I'd rather not have to do that.

Anyone care to help me out? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Scott

Re: Camera design: Front tilt on wooden fields?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott -- View Post
    The folding bed design seems much simpler to implement, but that dadgummed front tilt throws a wrench in the works.
    Why do you think tilt throws a wrench?

'Cause I can't picture how to design it into the wooden front standard. I'm sure it's been done; I haven't seen it (noob), and my engineering creativity always tended toward chemical...

Hi Scott, you can make it a simple as a pivoting knob that tightens which controls both rise and tilt, or use separate knobs for rise and tilt, all depends on what you want. For larger formats and heavy lenses I'd recommend separate controls. Here's what I did on mine. The top knob is centered on-axis for tilt, bottom knob is rise. The tilt bearing plate (outside) is like a tee nut that rides in the compound slot but doesn't tighten against anything but the rise bearing plate (inside), which does tighten against the main slot. Sounds confusing, but it's pretty simple.
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 24-Jun-2007 at 06:55.

A simple solution for front axis tilts is to have the front standard as two upright pieces with channels running vertically. The front frame has two bolts running through the channels, and there is a knob on each side that control the rise/fall and the tilt or alternately a T-nut in the lensboard frame and a bolt running through the channels. With such a system (Gowland cameras work this way), you set the rise/fall before the tilt. If you want to separate the rise/fall from the tilt, it gets more complicated, as in the linked thread.

The simplest way to do it is by an axis tilt that just uses the nuts outside the uprights of the front standard to lock the tilt by friction. This is usually combined with something that serves as a zero reference, detent or lock. Maybe this seems too simple, but it gets the job done fairly well.

Another approach is a base tilt with slotted supports bracing the uprights after they have been set to the desired angle.

Look up the F&S Universal 8x10. It has front tilts, as well as every other movement. The front tilt is done in a very straight forward manner.

Also check out the Agfa Ansco Univesal----all kinds of movements on a flat bed woody!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Retired Pirate

I doubt you could make it much simpler than this ...

The bolt head is cut square and slotted into a brass spacer than fits flush into the wooden standard - it's held in place by the long brass plate and four screws.

The bolt slides up and down the slotted riser of the front standard support. It's held in place by the threaded brass knob which tightens it. The brass spacer/washer makes for more comfortable use.

This controls both rise and tilt together.

The Kodak I restored does the following -

One side, there is rise and fall. The bolt/knob for this goes through the supports either side (it's a U-bracket with the rise/fall panel inside). below this a second set of knobs, one either side for tightening.

The whole U-bracket pivots on the point of the top knobs.

The amount of tilt is determined by the metal brace that connects the U-bracket to the moving front standard base.

probably best seen in this photo:

This "before" photo shows how the tilt works