Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for os9 software on cd

Re: Looking for os9 software on cd

I agree with Sandy, the Adaptec 2906 is preferable.
    I have a Screen DT-S1045ai (big brother of the 1030) and it is very picky about which SCSI cards that work with the rather important batch scanning feature. The 2906 works well.

1.Thanks Sandy and Eirik. My imacon was hooked up to the blue/white G3 in question before i hooked up the screen scanner. The imacon worked fine. I think i removed the scsi driver or something when i removed osx from the hard drive. SCSI doesn't show up anywhere on the computer and installing versions of os 9 and osx don't make a difference. I've looked on apple.com for a driver and i can't find one. I really don't know what i'm looking for so that doesn't help.
    If i could get a ethernet connection going between the original umax supermac and my imac G4, i wouldn't need to mess with the G3 at all as the screen scanner operates fine on the supermac running os 7.5.

2. I have the floppies for dt-s negatives but it won't install. Is there an order i need to follow. How much difference will there be between scanning as a b+w negative and scanning as a positive and inverting in photoshop?

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    1.Thanks Sandy and Eirik. My imacon was hooked up to the blue/white G3 in question before i hooked up the screen scanner. The imacon worked fine. I think i removed the scsi driver or something when i removed osx from the hard drive. SCSI doesn't show up anywhere on the computer and installing versions of os 9 and osx don't make a difference. I've looked on apple.com for a driver and i can't find one. I really don't know what i'm looking for so that doesn't help.
    If i could get a ethernet connection going between the original umax supermac and my imac G4, i wouldn't need to mess with the G3 at all as the screen scanner operates fine on the supermac running os 7.5.

2. I have the floppies for dt-s negatives but it won't install. Is there an order i need to follow. How much difference will there be between scanning as a b+w negative and scanning as a positive and inverting in photoshop?

Vinny,

You first need to know what SCSI card you have installed in the G3. Just open the side of the G3, find the PCI cards, and the number should be somewhere on the side of the SCSI card. You will be looking for a number like 2903, 2906, 2903b, etc. perhaps with a couple of letters before the number followed by a dash. Once you find the number go on line and download the correct SCSI driver. If the number is 2906 you have an Adaptec, and you can load the driver directly from the Adaptec site. Even if it is another number it may still be an Adaptec. Once you download the driver you open the System folder and drop the driver into the Extension folder.

I guess this sounds complicated if you don't know what you are looking for, but I think it is what you need to do to get the SCSI going on the G3 because it sounds like to me you have have trashed the SCSI driver in the extension folder of the system. As I recall the MAC G3 (exception being the All-In-One) did not automatically come with SCSI so it would always be in the form of a PCI card and would require a driver, which one generally installed when they installed the card.

Sandy King

Sandy,
    I do have the Adaptec 2906. The Adaptec download page says i'll need stuffit expander in order to expand it. It's not available for os 9.1, 9.2 is the oldest version available. I loaded the driver onto a usb jump drive anyway and dragged it to the desktop of the G3. The stuffit expander says it won't open without me selecting a program to use it with. I selected the stuffit that was in the list and it didn't object. When i click on the scsi card driver icon in the adaptec folder, i get a "system extension" pop up that says "...place the file in the extension folder and then restart the computer."
    How do i do that? I tried to drag it into the extensions folder in the apple system profiler and it won't let me do it.

Since the adaptec page says it will only work for os 9.2 or later should i try to load 0s 9.2 on the G3 and see if that works.

thanks
    vinny

I got the driver installed as far as i can tell. The g3 now recognizes my external zip drive. I hooked the scanner up and i get an 0300 error which isn't even in the manual. I also get 0030 errors but the after i restart the computer and click on "preview", error 0073 pops up and the scanner begins "scanning" but it just spins the drum and the light source doesn't move, i have to manually stop the scanner or it'll spin for who knows how long.
    I'm having trouble installing photoshop 6.0 as i was a couple weeks ago. It installs fine then i get a pop up right after the program starts " could not initialize photoshop because certain required files were not found in the photoshop folder. please reinstall photoshop to restore these files." I reinstall but get the same reaction. I think the scanner problem is due to photoshop since the scanner gives the same errors when i try to start it with the old umax supermac if i try to scan without using the dts software through photoshop "import".
    Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I got the driver installed as far as i can tell. The g3 now recognizes my external zip drive. I hooked the scanner up and i get an 0300 error which isn't even in the manual. I also get 0030 errors but the after i restart the computer and click on "preview", error 0073 pops up and the scanner begins "scanning" but it just spins the drum and the light source doesn't move, i have to manually stop the scanner or it'll spin for who knows how long.
    I'm having trouble installing photoshop 6.0 as i was a couple weeks ago. It installs fine then i get a pop up right after the program starts " could not initialize photoshop because certain required files were not found in the photoshop folder. please reinstall photoshop to restore these files." I reinstall but get the same reaction. I think the scanner problem is due to photoshop since the scanner gives the same errors when i try to start it with the old umax supermac if i try to scan without using the dts software through photoshop "import".
    Any ideas?
    Perhaps you are having some kind of extension conflict. These were very common in pre-OSX Mac systems. The problem is that the offending extension can be hard to locate, and of course in this case it is not certain that an extension conflict is the real problem.

No idea what your problem with Photoshop may be due to, but I can tell you for sure that Photoshop 6.0 is very compatible witih MAC OS9. Have you made sure that the Screen inport plug-in is in the same folder with the Photoshop 6.0 application?

Sandy King