About a year ago I was up in Seattle looking for something to photograph. It st arted raining pretty hard (big surprise) and my girlfriend suggested we go over to the Freemont Bridge and photograph the Troll Sculpture under the bridge to ge t out of the rain. We did. However, while breaking down the 4x5 camera a fellow appeared from "nowhere" and read us the riot act. Said that no one could photo graph the troll with any intent to sell the photographs because the artist would not stand for it. At the time I thought maybe he just lived under the bridge h imself. After all this was a piece of art permenantly displayed in a public pla ce.

Well here we are a year later and I have a beautiful BW photo of the troll. My girlfriend is opening an import store and art gallery in August and wants me to display the troll (for sale) along with several of my other photos. Suddenly I keep hearing this fellow say "it would not be legal for you to sell photos of th e troll" over and over in my head. Any comments ? Are there any circumstances where public art can not be photographed and sold ?