Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experience with Robert White?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Experience with Robert White?

I thank the responders who have pointed me in the direction of Robert White in London. His prices are exceptionally low, especially on German lenses. Is there any other hidden expenses I am not aware of dealng with an overseas merchandiser, such as frieght, possible grey market products, etc..

Gary I can't answer your question from the import aspect because I live in the u k. But he and his team offer a superb service at very competitive prices. I purc hase nearly all my hardware from him and depending on how much you spend he will often cut you a deal. I've had free lens panels, a Heliopan 67mm UV filter even a free View Camera mag.!(mind you I was spending quite a fair bit at the time). I've also had some sponsorship from him in the supply of film. Don't be afraid to ask for his best price or any deals, you could end up saving even more.

Good luck,

Gary I have been dealing with Robert for the last 10 years!! He is a gentleman in the true sense of the word!! You CAN buy new or used with complete confidence, there are NO hidden extras. He does not "grade" his used stock as most dealers tend to do, rather he gives you an honest description of the item. I have found that he tends to "under" describe used goods, leaving the purchaser pleasantly surprised, especially buying mail order. All goods shipped are packed lovingly by his staff. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!! Both he and his staff are a mine of information , especially with LF. If you get a chance to visit his premises, do so, they are an Aladdins Cave !! Regards Paul

Greetings,

I can only second the remarks of the previous posters. I have purchase two lens' from Robert and he is courteous, professional and trustworthy. He will advise you of all costs except US Customs and you stand a 50-50 chance of paying that. Many times small parcels pass through Customs without being assessed duty. Regardless, considering the savings, duty is negligible.

Regards,

I am new to the field of large format cameras and have made two major (for me) purchases through Robert White and had them send the equipment (camera, 2 lens, filter, film holders, Polaroid back, etc.) to me here in Chicago. Both times, I got very courteous and prompt service, accurate information, fast shipping, and paid only 1-2% import duty. My purchases were complicated by the fact that my credit card company put automatic holds on the purchase both times for fear of fraud...and each time, the folks at RW were patient and bent over backwards to accommodate a very frustrating process - making extra phonecalls, holding equipment, etc.

Thus, having spent a lot of time on the phone and a lot of money, I can do nothing but recommend them highly.

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/

tim a
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Sorry to post a question that has been answered before. Could one of you readers please provide contact information regarding Robert White? Thanks for your assistance.

The best prices, the best service, simple as that. And Robert is very knowledgeable also...he will do anything to help facilitate your order...and best of all, he has a great sense of humor - a true Brit! Best of luck....

What a pleasure! Nice man, excellent service, fair prices.

John,

UPS acts as a customs broker (for which they charge a fee of about $5.00) for international shipments. After looking at the invoice where the vendor writes a description of items including country of origin, UPS makes a judgement as to which of the 1000's of categories the item fall for duty purposes. Each import category has different terms and conditions. The duty as determined by UPS + brokerage charges are due upon arrival of the package at your doorstep.

For photographic items alone, there must be over 100 categories. Many LF items seem to fall into three categories (from the customs website):

HTS Number 90069100: Parts and accessories for photographic cameras, not cinematographic 5.8% rate

HTS Number 90021190: Objective lenses and parts & access. thereof, for cameras, projectors, or photographic enlargers or reducers, except projection, nesi 2.3% rate

HTS Number 90065990: Photographic cameras, other than fixed focus, valued over $10 each, nesi 0.0% rate