Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Enlarger(s) for large, medium & 35mm, 1or2

Enlarger(s) for large, medium & 35mm, 1or2

Do you use your large format enlarger to print smaller negs as weel, or just large format negs and another (if use use smaller format film) for medium format or 35mm?
    The reason I ask is because I can't get hold of 6x7, 6x9 neg holders for my blumfield masterprinter. Therefore, I was thinking 1) Keep the Blumfield just for 4x5 (and posibly 6X12) and get another enlarger 35mm to 6x9. Or get a Devere 504 to do all neg sizes.
    Do people finf using a large format enlarger abit of a pain for smaller negs? Have I got roon for 2 enlarger - only just at a push -and my wife would like to see just one .

Re: Enlarger(s) for large, medium & 35mm, 1or2

Sorry for above typos, hit submit without checking.

I have a Beseler 5x7 that I use for both 4x5 and 6x7cm negatives. I admit that I prefer to use the 45MX for the smaller negatives, but if I'm already set up on the 5x7, and want to make one last print of a smaller negative, it doesn't bother me at all. The only real disadvantage is that the 5x7 cold light is 1 stop dimmer than the lamp head on the 4x5.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

If you have the room and don't mind dealing with different enlargers then you could have one for each format. Things are so cheap today.

My Beseler handles 4x5 and smaller very easily plus I've got all the bits so I tend to use it for everything. But I've got an old Durst that was picked up just for the colour head.

I have an old Durst Laborator 1000 that I use to print 35 mm, 6x7, and 4x5. The head is a 4x5 Zone 6 VC head that I made an adaptor to mount onto the Durst. I use several different types of used negative carriers that I obtain from our local camera store and modify them with saws, files, etc. to make them fit the format that I need since Durst parts are hard to find and very expensive. I have a Beseler 67 that I could use for printing the 35mm and 6x7 negs, but the Durst/Zone 6 Frankenstein is so much nicer to print with that I no longer use the Beseler. I recommend a one enlarger solution with a good head and make your own negative carriers if you are at all handy with tools. I paid about 5 bucks apiece for the negative carriers that I bastardize to fit the Durst. I have laser aligned the lens stage on the Durst and everything about it is just totally superior to the Beseler as far as obtaining and maintaining alignment. That way you can print at whatever aperture you wish and get edge to edge sharpness without worry. (and with the VC head I don't have to use slot in filters either). The big enlargers are generally a much better build than the small ones from what I have experienced.

I used to have 3 enlargers set up: one for 35mm, one for medium format, and one for 4 x 5. I had 3 enlargers because as I moved up to larger formats I had to upgrade enlargers each time. I eventually realized that the 4 x 5 enlarger was more stable, more precise, and had more even light distribution, so I got rid of the two smaller ones. I'm now back to 3 enlargers, but this time two are identical except one has a color head and the other a VC head. The third is a 10 x 10 which I only use for formats larger than 4 x 5, as it is rather incovenient to use.

I adapted a 4x5 DeJur to also take MF and 35mm. The 35mm enlarger set up in my darkroom gets very little use.

I use a Durst A300 with a little CLS30 dichroic head for 35mm, a Beseler 45MCRXII for medium format and 4x5, and a contact printing frame for 8x10. Yes, the Beseler is more cumbersome than the little Durst for 35mm, and more of a pain to keep aligned, but if I hadn't fallen into a great deal on the Durst 25 years ago, I doubt I would have been unhappy doing everything (except 8x10) with the Beseler.

Since you mention a DeVere 504, that's what I use for all neg sizes (35mm, 6x6, 6x7, and 4x5). I have a ZoneVI VC head mounted (I think its a Besseler adaptor collar, fits right onto the DeVere "head carrier assembly"), 3 lenses on boards (50,80,150) and three neg frames which fit the universal carrier (35, 6x7 - which I also use for 6x6 - and 4x5). Never even thought of a second enlarger.

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by mark e mark View Post
    Do you use your large format enlarger to print smaller negs as weel, or just large format negs and another (if use use smaller format film) for medium format or 35mm?
    The reason I ask is because I can't get hold of 6x7, 6x9 neg holders for my blumfield masterprinter. Therefore, I was thinking 1) Keep the Blumfield just for 4x5 (and posibly 6X12) and get another enlarger 35mm to 6x9. Or get a Devere 504 to do all neg sizes.
    Do people finf using a large format enlarger abit of a pain for smaller negs? Have I got roon for 2 enlarger - only just at a push -and my wife would like to see just one .
    If you have room you should be able to pick up a 35mm / medium format enlarger for almost nothing. Less than $100 for sure if you keep an eye out for awhile.