Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for a pigment ink printmaker

looking for a pigment ink printmaker

I'm looking for a printmaker who meets the following criteria. If anyone has a reference I would appreciate it.

1) I need someone who is closer to my location so I can cut down on the package delivery lag time. I'm in Raleigh NC so someone on the east coast of the USA is good. Someone between Washington DC and Atlanta is better.

2) Epson 9800, K3 inks. Trust me on this please. For what I'm doing, this is what I need.

3) Canvas, Fredrix 901WR or equivalent.

4) Coating, a satin finish UV protective coating.

5) Can provide an ICC profile for the above, made after coating the test targets. In other words, this combination of canvas, ink, and coating should be in normal use for this printmaker and should be fairly well "dialed in" as it were.

6) For extra credit, it would be nice if the printmaker is also a photographer, or if at least a decent chunk of their business comes from photographers. For double extra credit, make that an LF photographer

Thanks for your help!

Bruce Watson

Re: looking for a pigment ink printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    I'm looking for a printmaker who meets the following criteria. If anyone has a reference I would appreciate it.

1) I need someone who is closer to my location so I can cut down on the package delivery lag time. I'm in Raleigh NC so someone on the east coast of the USA is good. Someone between Washington DC and Atlanta is better.

2) Epson 9800, K3 inks. Trust me on this please. For what I'm doing, this is what I need.

3) Canvas, Fredrix 901WR or equivalent.

4) Coating, a satin finish UV protective coating.

5) Can provide an ICC profile for the above, made after coating the test targets. In other words, this combination of canvas, ink, and coating should be in normal use for this printmaker and should be fairly well "dialed in" as it were.

6) For extra credit, it would be nice if the printmaker is also a photographer, or if at least a decent chunk of their business comes from photographers. For double extra credit, make that an LF photographer

Thanks for your help!
    Try Dean Imaging - http://deanimaging.com/index.php

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Try Dean Imaging - http://deanimaging.com/index.php

Don Bryant
    I talked to John a few weeks ago. He told me he's still using his trusty Epson 9600.

I need a 9800 for the K3 inks. The problem I'm having is with dark greens which is one of the places where the K3s excell. Which is why I'm looking for a 9800...

John's a good guy though, and the next time I need a large B&W print on canvas he's probably who I'm going to send it to.

Bruce Watson

Hello Bruce,

You might want to read through this article, and perhaps contact one of these places:

http://www.bigpicture.net/index.php3...displaynow=yes

I think a couple of the places in that article are on the East coast. It is not always simple to have highly specific needs, and find what you want. I hope you accomplish your goals. Best of luck.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

OK, maybe I've restricted this request for a reference too far. How about anywhere in the USA?

Bruce Watson

Bruce,

Staying on the East Coast .... call Jon Latimer at ejarts in Rochester. www.ejarts.com

I am almost certain he can meet all of your needs and he is an LF photographer as well ... also on the faculty at RIT. If you are going to be at the VC Conference you can talk to him there.

A friend of mine uses David Adamson in Washington, DC, and the prints that I've seen from him are made to a very high standard. I know he also is able to work closely with him during the process. Info at http://www.adamsoneditions.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    OK, maybe I've restricted this request for a reference too far. How about anywhere in the USA?

I can do everything but the 9800. My large printer is a 9600 but I can run some small canvasses on a 4800 though. But those would be pretty small like 13x if you leave room for the stretchers.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

There is always the Large Format Lab at Bowling Green State University:

http://bgsu.edu/colleges/technology/.../services.html

These are the people who run FLAAR. Sometimes controversial in reviews, but they have some quite nice gear.

I am a little curious about the Epson 9800 request. Is that to match earlier prints, or some other reason for that preference? I have many sample prints off a wide variety of printers, including some canvas prints (best I have came off a ColorSpan). So are you trying to match a print, or just familiar with the 9800 output?

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post
    There is always the Large Format Lab at Bowling Green State University:

http://bgsu.edu/colleges/technology/.../services.html

These are the people who run FLAAR. Sometimes controversial in reviews, but they have some quite nice gear.

I am a little curious about the Epson 9800 request. Is that to match earlier prints, or some other reason for that preference? I have many sample prints off a wide variety of printers, including some canvas prints (best I have came off a ColorSpan). So are you trying to match a print, or just familiar with the 9800 output?

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio
    This is where I got my degree, BTW. They don't like Epsons last time I was associated with them.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.