Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Segway

Segway

After reading the post on 25-50# LF packs, I wonder if anybody uses a Segway? I think the new ones are rated to haul 260#. How are they for carrying your stuff on smooth dirt trails?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Wink Re: Segway

I can think of lots of things on which I'd rather spend $4000; mainly camera equipment.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Re: Segway

I can't imagine that one of those things would be good on steep off road trails. Why not just buy a mule or llama? You'll also look a lot cooler for the women and other onlooklers who stop to gauk at your big camera...
    Brian Vuillemenot

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Also, being that it's a motorized vehicle, it would be off limits on most back country trails. Why not look into a jogging baby stroller- much cheaper, and will carry over 100 pounds of gear with ease.
    Brian Vuillemenot

"I can't imagine that one of those things would be good on steep off road trails."
    We don't have any steep trails in Florida, Brian.

"Why not look into a jogging baby stroller- much cheaper, and will carry over 100 pounds of gear with ease."
    Because I am partially disabled and can't walk more than a few hundred feet, Brian.

Your subtitle does you credit, Brian.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Abuser of God's Sunlight

bill,

i live in a particularily hilly area of portland, oregon - there are, in fact, some 6-10% grades when coming out of my neighborhood. several of my neighbors use segways and love them around here. there are some pretty rough stretches of roads and they do just fine on them. i'm not sure how they would do on dirt trails, however.

One of our State Parks in NE Florida is promoting the use of Segways http://www.floridastateparks.org/for...Activities.cfm The trail this site mentions is thru old dunes that is definitely not level. I wonder, though, about carrying LF equipment on a Segway (I'd have to lose some weight ;-) .

You might look into one of those all terrain electric wheel chairs that have the fat knobby wheels. Some of them float too. You can get used golf carts very reasonably too. My wife gets all kinds of literature on the subject since she's a card carrying gimp. And since you are disabled, the Park Service can't stop one of those all terrain chairs from going anywhere otherwise you can raise a real stink with the ADA.

If you are associated with any disabled service in you locale, it would be easy to round up a 1000 or so fellow gimps to stage a demonstration. (My wife and a few thousand of her closest friends managed to shut down the transit system in St Louis a number of years ago because they weren't ADA compliant. Now they will come to the door to pick up and drop off.)
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

I've ridden a Segway, and while its fun, I wouldn't want to do it with a 30# pack on my back.

You control your forward/reverse motion on a Segway by leaning forward or backward, and doing that while balancing a heavy pack could get very tiring.