Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: jen bekman's 20x200

Re: jen bekman's 20x200

yes Dirk, very much so. I'd also echo Julian Thomas' comments:http://thebartender.wordpress.com/2007/06/20/update/ - he also said (can't find it right now) that he's had contact with all sorts of people as a result of the print offer.

I've found the same - I've had queries about larger "standard" prints (bigger prints/smaller edition), discussions with photographers and artists I had never met before from every from Paris to Tokyo and Montevideo. I've had a few curators buy the prints and discuss about seeing more work
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

I think the main thing about this is, you are not selling prints. You are engaged in a marketing exercise.
    My regular mailing pack would have an A4 print in it. What I'm doing now is charging for that marketing print and raising a buzz - well a small buzz.
    I know my original email from my database has been forwarded to people who have bought, so I've expanded my contact list. And these are people approaching me, not me running after them.
    I've not had Tim's success with curators, but that is a pretty closed world for me in Spain, but I have increased my cash flow. Which is really what it is all about

Digital or wet? Forget $20 for wet. I wouldn't waste a second on that one. I did sell 280 prints (8 images) for less than $20 a print. Obviously, many were dupes for a hotel project, digitally kranked out...quality was important, but price was first...But this was a one shot deal, so to speak, not 200 people with marketing, contacting, shipping, collecting, etc....I agree with other posts, I hope this is a marketing ploy, because you sure ain't gettin paid for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_6029 View Post
    I hope this is a marketing ploy, because you sure ain't gettin paid for your time.
    Of course you aren't getting paid for your time!! The hours spent trudging around, the exposures leading to the keeper, the hours processing, film, lab costs. If art photographers got paid for their time no one would buy!

Since landing in New York LUMAS has made quite a stir selling moderately priced framed and mounted prints…food for thought.

Well, Jen Bekman's 20x200 is now up and goes live in a few days or so.

http://www.20x200.com/

In light of the parallel thread to this on editions, I'll be interested to see how it goes.

It will be interesting to see how the sales go (each object/item for sale shows how many are left)

One major thing Bekamn has going for her is name recognition and a good - if simple - PR machine.

And having these for sale on one site with that kind of recognition will help

(as does a spread in Dwell Magazine the month of the launch...)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

I recently donated a limited edition of 25 ink print run to a non profit for fund raising. I calculated my costs at nearly $400.00 including paper, ink, depreciation, assistant time etc. $20 a print ???????

20x200 appears to be a very clever PR ploy. The next person that does it will not even get a glance.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Ms Bekman is the queen of clever. There was quite a ruckus last spring over her Hey Hot Shot photo review/contest.

she quite openly says 20x200 it's meant to be a gateway drug...

(and HeyHotShot got her Nina Berman's fantastic Purple Hearts project/show which has had rave reviews all over the US...)

Let's say she knows what she's doing....

If you go to the site you see you see that besides the edition of 200 8x10 or smaller images, other editions are available for more $. For example, one person shows they have sold 13 $20 images but if you look at their "other editions" you see they have also sold 2 30x40 images for $2000. I wonder if that is a result of the 20x200 site. If so, seems like a pretty good marketing tool.