Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wooden 5x7 holder won't hold 5x7 film?!

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Re: Wooden 5x7 holder won't hold 5x7 film?!

Let me just remind everyone that 5x7" film has also lost a few mm each side in the transition from glass plates to film so that 5x7" film is not 5 inches by 7 inches. It's more like 4 7/8" by 6 7/8".

Scott, are you sure those aren't plate holders?

Are you sure its a film holder and not a plate holder?

Sorry about the redundant reply, looks like Ole pushed the button first!

Retired Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Scott -- View Post
    Bah. I don't want to buy special film for just one holder...

Er ... you might have to. My good holders are Kodak and Burke & James but I have one marked BACO, Hollywood (barely visible in the metalwork) which is 5x7 but will only take Wephota NP 15 (ISO25) sheet film which is cut a fraction wider. Does yours have a circular depression in the center of the backs?

Half plate is a significantly different size of film. You won't get 5x7 film into it without cutting off several millimeters from the edges. It's canny though, as half plate holders will fit a 5x7 camera and you can get the film.

If they're plate holders won't the depth be off to?

Don't know as this'll help, but here ya go:

In that second image, you can kinda make out that the negative fits under the guides, but has enough room at the edges that it'll slip out. The guides are spaced 4-13/16" apart; the wooden edges are exactly 5".

Thoughts?

Hi, all -

I picked up as a small rehab project an old wooden 5x7 holder, unmarked. Cleaned up nicely, but when I go to load it, my film won't stay put. While the little guides are just under 5" apart, the film's actually only 4-15/16" wide, just a smidge more than the guides. If it's centered just so, the film will sit between the guides, but will slide to and fro, and flops out if the holder's not laying flat.

I'm in dire need of 5x7 holders, and want to make this work. Any suggestions? Is there a way to tighten up the space behind the guides so the film can't slide quite so freely? Or is it just a delicate touch in loading that eludes me?

Scott
    Most likely you have a glass plate holder and will need a film sheath that fits it to use it with cut film. Worse, the registration distance for plate holders may not match that of holders originally made for cut film; there were several standards prior to WWII and your holder might easily have been made for one of those.

Alternately, if the slot the film goes into isn't a lot thicker than the film (glass plates are/were about 1 or 1.5 mm thick, which would be obviously oversize for film), you might have a 13x18 cm film holder. With modern ANSI compliant holders, 13x18 and 5x7 are interchangeable in the same backs, but the film differs by a few millimeters in width; some 13x18 holders are tight enough to retain 5x7 film, and some 5x7 are loose enough to accept 13x18, but you can't really count on that...

Edit: Okay, was replying from page 1, on page 2 I see the photo of the holder -- that's a film holder, not a plate holder, so it's probably a 13x18 size. Good news is, the film isn't too hard to get (Ole can probably send you any kind you like, since 13x18 is as common in Europe as 5x7 is here); bad news is, if it's the only 13x18 you have, it's probably not worth the effort. However, if it's in good shape, you might be able to trade it to someone in Europe for a real 5x7 holder that they've found too small for their film. Alternately, you could use Ole's marmalade technique to hold the 5x7 film flat in the holder and use it as is...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

... The guides are spaced 4-13/16" apart; the wooden edges are exactly 5".

Thoughts?
    With that spacing it can be either a 13x18cm film holder, or a 5x7" plate holder. whether it's for film or plates is most easily determined by the space under the rails - glass plates are about 1.5mm thick. Plate holders also tend to have a spring or pressure plate somewhere.

Retired Pirate

that's a film holder, not a plate holder, so it's probably a 13x18 size.
    You know I supect it's 5x7, but just lacking standardised measurements or accuracy. My Wephota NP15 is 1.5mm wider than the Wephota NP22, but that allows the NP15 to fit in my 'odd' holder. Less than 2mm difference makes all the difference, but it's nowhere near 13x18cm.

I guess this might be a case where I got lucky with a badly cut batch of film.

If there is no problem with the film plane and the GG plane matching, then you might try a piece of double-sided tape to hold the film in the holder.

Vaughn