Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Mr Burnett loves a speed graphic

Talking Why Mr Burnett loves a speed graphic

I read the article saw the pics, then I got a graphic and an ektar. ( i can probably hear cries of victim and copycat.. oh well)

I have 100% given up on the Kalart. I think it is just not right at all. The short scale never aligns when the two other do. Even on an optar 135mm. However on to the best bit. Spending an evening with a pile of work to do sorting application problems for a client I look outside and see mist rolling in the Tay. I grab the bag, speed graphic and the D1 for accurate night exposures.

Driving down I see the first empty advert board I have seen a very long time. It looked like they had painted it and freshened it up. Well in true Burnett combo tilt the lens flip the hood up watch the haze focus. 2 seconds later the D1x confirmed that my exposure would be cool. Then I shot.

Below is the result.

Oh tech stuff is ERA 100 hurried into a darkslide. Then rolled around in TMAX (era 100 treat like TMAX 100 for times) for 8.5 mins. 3 secs @ f2.5 + all the negative tilt she had captain

Re: Why Mr Burnett loves a speed graphic

very nice... like it
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

I'll try and make a much bigger posted image. I only realised there how tiny it was. Makes it look about a million times less impressive. 100x crop you can see the fixings on the top of the billboard

That's Dr. Burnett.

His alma marter (Colorado College) gave him an Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters this year.

http://werejustsayin.blogspot.com/20...-colorado.html
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Very nice! How is your Aero Ektar mounted to the lens board? I'm trying to figure out the quickest and cheapest way to start using the AE that I have. I think I'm ready to take a Dremel and widen the throat of my Speed out so the retaining ring will fit.

I have started selling prints already of this. Any takers let me know. All will be reverse scanned upto 30 inches by 40 ( or what ever it is when fitted to it ).

Prices start at £50 for an unmounted A3. Turn around will be 2 weeks to uk. US or others add postage.

I know its cheeky but hey if you like it. Buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Hilander View Post
    Very nice! How is your Aero Ektar mounted to the lens board? I'm trying to figure out the quickest and cheapest way to start using the AE that I have. I think I'm ready to take a Dremel and widen the throat of my Speed out so the retaining ring will fit.
    Pat,
    FWIW I mounted an aero ektar on a graphic "C" board (the 4"x4" wooden one) with a rubber gasket designed to be used between a toilter bowl and tank. Costs about $1 at the hardware store. Theres no need to take the dremel to your Speeder.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by John Kasaian; 17-Jun-2007 at 07:13. Reason: incomplete thought
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Back when I had and Aero Ektar on a pacemaker it fit through the front standard fine. Mine was a straight barreled one, which i gather is atypical.

Mine slides through fine and dandy using the brass mount available from the dutch guy.

Quote Originally Posted by scrichton View Post
    Mine slides through fine and dandy using the brass mount available from the dutch guy.
    Yes, the dutch fellow makes some nice looking mounting rings, but they are not in the budget at the moment.

The problem I'm having is that barrel fits through fine, but the giant "retaining ring" won't fit through without modifying the throat of the camera. But I think I've figured out a solution that does not involve hacking up the throat–to attach the retaining ring to the front of the lens board and use it like a flange. I'll let you all know if that ends up working, and thanks for all the suggestions!