Thread: Decent photo vest?

Re: Decent photo vest?

too hot

put stuff in camera bags and place in a jogging stroller

roll gear around to lacation

cooler

easier on the back

mothers are disappointed there's no baby in the stroller
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

I own several different vests, the Domke, a Tenba (tamrac?) and my current favorite is the safari one from Cabelas. It's cheap but the pockets are plentiful and it's well designed.

The problem with those vestedinterest vests is they look like they're ready to blowup at any moment. If I saw someone walking through Times Square with one of those I might want to tell a police officer.

> roll gear around to location

Hard to do in the swamp or through the reeds. Lowpro and Knesis both make bigger pouches that will close over holders and not look like a terrorist. You can add suspenders to avoid the pants problem - this style is known as dorkage. (Thanks to Dilbert)

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    Well, I'll tell you what fashion statement it makes:

"Hi. I'm a camera nerd who wears funny military style jackets with lots of pockets to hold onto his toys, and who will never meet any girls."

That's what the vests I tried on said.

Edward Weston wore a cape for years. If you read his Daybooks, you'll discover that he had few problems "meeting girls."

But, my real problem with most photography vests is that they don't work for me. I carry my camera (8x10 or 4x5) in a backpack, loupe around my neck stored in my shirt pocket. Film holders, meters, and extra cable release in backpack, pens and Moleskin in thigh pocket of a pair of BDU pants (Black, Blue, or Khaki). When I start shooting my spot meter goes into the other thigh pocked for easy access.

I would like a shoulder bag for filmholders, that would let me mount the camera on the tripod and basically dispense with carrying the backpack.

Mike

Also try the Cabllas vests ... I have been using one for several years. Price is right too, cost me 50 bucks.

(also, I suspect that an Iranian wearing ammo pouches running around town will cause a bit of a ruckus...though thus far no one has said anything to me...perhaps out of terror...)
    Unless you have "Iranian" painted in big, white block letters on the back, how would anybody know?

Then again, if you declare yourself a "Persian", you should be fine as most people here do not seem to connect the two and will consider you a rug salesman...

"Hi. I'm a camera nerd who wears funny military style jackets with lots of pockets to hold onto his toys, and who will never meet any girls."

That's what the vests I tried on said.
    Well, you don't take your camera out to find girls no more than you take your girl(s) out to find cameras, now, do you?

One thing at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Unless you have "Iranian" painted in big, white block letters on the back, how would anybody know?
    By my turban and camel of course!

(that's a joke fellas. I have never actually seen a camel in Iran except in zoos. Now, flying carpets...I done seen a few of those in my time.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    Edward Weston wore a cape for years. If you read his Daybooks, you'll discover that he had few problems "meeting girls."
    Ah! (smacks forehead) that's what I've been doing wrong all this time!

Did the cape have a lot of pockets?

OK don't laugh (too hard) at me, I have a vested interest vest. Although the vest does make me look like the uni-bomber, it is the best quality and most practical vest I have seen. I had John customize the pockets to fit my stuff. For example, the front right pocket holds my non folding ebony 45su with a lens mounted.
    Front left holds various filters, block level, loupe etc. The top pockets hold my sekonic meter and various tools, insect repel, microfibre cloth and cleaning solution. The back center pocket holds my gitzo tripod and ball head. One of the back side pockets holds a gnass 3 lens case with lenses, the other will hold a box of readyloads and a gnass readyload case and holder.

The advantage for me is the short length allows me to walk in fairly deep water and not have to set a pack or anything else on wet ground. The places where I photograph I rarely run into other people. I try to keep my gear practical not fashionable.

Let the ridicule begin......
    jb