Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Focusing problems? Please Help.

Focusing problems? Please Help.

For the past 5 + months my images have came back with incorrect focus. When focusing / viewing on the ground glass they are sharp as ever.

My camera movements are very slight if any at all.

On every image it is sharp about 6 - 12 inches closer to the camera than intended. I have checked the placement of the inner part of the ground glass and the film plane on my film holders and they are fine.

I have made many sharp images prior with this same setup.

Sinar F2 / Nikkor W 210 f5.6

I've visited an eye doctor and he prescribed eyeglasses, which I have worn for the past month and the problem still persists.

Could this be the lens, camera? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Example :

(I've shot 60 + negatives that have came back just like this)

Re: Focusing problems? Please Help.

Christopher,

I am confused the main subject seems to be in focus, what part of the photo are you looking at? If it is the background the you are looking at, you need to learn a bit about Depth of Field But as far as the lady in the photograph, she looks in focus to me..

Dave

Is there a fresnel lens installed on the inside (toward the lens) of the groundglass? If so, that is most likely the problem.

Alan -

There is no frensel lens installed - never has been.

Dave -

I understand depth of field - I shot this at f8 - While viewing the groundglass her face and feet were sharp - now on the negative both are soft and the focus is lying 6 - 12 inches closer to the camera than intended.

- Christopher

Your image looks in focus to me, just not much depth of field.

You will not have much depth of field with a 210mm lens at f8. Try shooting between f22 and f32 if you want max DOF.

I definitely see the problem in your shot. Is it possible the front standard is creeping forward or the rear standard moving when you put the film holder in? I know that Richard Ritter offers a service of calibrating cameras. It might be worth trying to get a second opinion. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    You will not have much depth of field with a 210mm lens at f8. Try shooting at f22.
    HaHa!

I would like the ability to accurately shoot at f8.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyon View Post
    I definitely see the problem in your shot. Is it possible the front standard is creeping forward or the rear standard moving when you put the film holder in? I know that Richard Ritter offers a service of calibrating cameras. It might be worth trying to get a second opinion. Good luck.
    That may be a possibility - however it seems rock solid.
    Thanks for the contact!

Could the lens cause this type of problem?

Quote Originally Posted by christopherbwurzbach View Post
    Could the lens cause this type of problem?

I doubt it – I don't see how the lens could shift focus all by itself. I have a 210mm Nikkor W and it's a great lens, but then I'm not in the habit of shooting at f8.

If the same setup used to work fine, something had to change somewhere. Has the camera or any of it's parts been worked on? Has it taken any knocks? Something has changed position. You just need to figure out what. I have to assume, since you seem to know what you're doing, that you are using a focus loupe. Has anything happened to change it? I can't see well, close up, but I can not for the life of me. focus a camera while wearing glasses. Could that be a problem?

Edit: One more thought - are you checking the focus at f/8? I have a hard time believing you could experience focus shift from stopping down with this lens, but...........?