Thread: Digital Camera as a Light Meter

Digital Camera as a Light Meter

I'm sure this topic has been discussed, but I wanted to get some present day thoughts about the use of point and shoot or DSLR for use as a meter for LF work. Questions:

1) How accurate are they compared to say a Sekonic?
    2) How difficult is it to replicate/transfer the settings from the digital camera to the speed/exposure one wants to be using with the LF cam?
    3) How do people enjoy doing their LF work with a digital camera around or do most still go analog with their metering systems?

Thanks for all contributions towards this. I'm still trying to bite on a digital camera, but what would be the real winner for me is being able to use it as a meter/preview (i.e. eliminates spending $250-$300 on a Sekonic).

BTW...I've shot digital for about 7 years, not so much in the past few...and find it to be "ok", but it's just not at all my style when it comes to being able to shoot with larger sheet film and do contact prints...this is why I've yet to buy into any digital camera because I need to make further use than just snaps.

Thanks again!!!

Re: Digital Camera as a Light Meter

Quote Originally Posted by audioexcels View Post
    I'm sure this topic has been discussed, but I wanted to get some present day thoughts about the use of point and shoot or DSLR for use as a meter for LF work. Questions:

1) How accurate are they compared to say a Sekonic?
    Most "spot" readings on meters built into cameras tend to be anything between 5 and 10 degrees angle, whereas a sekonic, or the like, usually meters 1 degree. This allows you to determine the shadow and highlight readings much more accurately.

2) How difficult is it to replicate/transfer the settings from the digital camera to the speed/exposure one wants to be using with the LF cam?
    If you find, from experimentation, that a camera meter gives you the results that you can use then, by all means, simply transfer the readings straight to the LF. DOn't forget that some people still don't use a spot meter at all, they just use incident readings; and they can still get good ressults, once they know how to interpret those readings into what they want to see in the final picture. It is not so much about what you use to obtain an exposure reading, it is more about knowing what results you are likely to get from those readings.

3) How do people enjoy doing their LF work with a digital camera around or do most still go analog with their metering systems?
    Personally, I use a Minolta Flashmeter VI in spot/incident modes, simply because I now, after many mistakes, know, more or less, what result I will get from interpreting its readings. I tried using a Nikon D200 camera and foound that the readings were tailored to the sensor's sensitivity range of something like 6 stops with the major part of that range being under the standard exposure (1 1/2 stops over, 4 1/2 stops under). This is not at all like the sensitivity of the Velvia 100 that I usually use for LF, which tends to be around 4 stops range, 2 stops over and S stops under standard exposure.

Since I'm still learning LF, I use both for different reasons. I use a Sekonic L-358 with 1-degree, and added a Canon 5D last winter. I take both when shooting with the 4x5 to get the range and variety of readings, and yes writing it all down. I also use the 5D to take concurrent images to compare later.

I rely on the Sekonic meter to get the incident and reflective readings and the extremes of the scene, and to set the initial exposure and any bracketing. The 5D is useful with the four metering modes to see (viewer and histogram) for the exposure setting. And I can use the 5D to get other shots while working with the LF.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

I own a 1-degree spot meter and have learned to get passably consistent results from that as long as my eyes don't interpret something a shade darker than middle gray as being deep shadow. However, I recently took a trip to another state and realize the first time I set the 5x7 up that the meter was still sitting on the pool table at home. I used a Canon Rebel XT in manual mode to zero in on exposure and got very consistent results. I think whatever metering method you settle in on will work for you as long as it's reasonably accurate and you use it consistently.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I have a question related to this. Does anyone know of a point and shoot style digital that allows one to work in a manual mode, setting shutter and aperature. I would be interested in that for the size and weight savings versus a traditional dslr.
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carney View Post
    Does anyone know of a point and shoot style digital that allows one to work in a manual mode, setting shutter and aperature.
    Some do, some don't, and the models change too quickly to keep track. The best place I know of for specs and reviews of digicams is www.dpreview.com. Lots of info on most available cameras all in one place. They also keep older camera reviews available in case you want to go the used route.