Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone seen or used this device?

Re: Has anyone seen or used this device?

No, but if it's from Hong Kong it's got to be state of the art.

I have one of these devices and it is distributed by fotodiox (fotodiox.com) in the U.S.. Neat company with lots of adapters for mounting lots of lenses etc.. This adapter allows attachment of a 35mm style camera, film or digital, (I have the Canon EOS version) to any viewcamera with a graflok back. I have used it with my Toyo G, Technika, and Wista woodfield with graflok. The distance from the Canon 5D sensor with adaptor attached to inside of the graflok attachment is about 75mm. That leads one to believe that a 90mm Schneider lens could be used, but the rear element of the lens hits the graflok back prior to infinity focus. My 135mm lens works fine. I've used it for stitching and with portraits to throw the focus plane askew. I have not tried any of the shorter digital view lenses with this yet. I have a smaller 90mm lens from an old graflex camera with little back end on it that may work. At this point, this type of adapter will only work on 135mm and longer lenses for me. Perfect for stitching and portraits or landscapes with longer lenses. I see no reason to use it on traditional landscapes as the dedicated camera lenses are much more portable. This is a relatively cheap way to attach a DSLR to a view camera body. I have seen pictures of the Cambo version mentioned above. It looks like the bellows attaches directly to the DSLR body eliminating about 29mm of adapter that the fotodiox must have for it to clear the handgrip of the 5D. That means much shorter lenses could be used with the Cambo. So far I've found this a useful device and it has paid for itself already with just one small product catalogue. The client wanted digital and loved it. I just wish I had received a portion of the profits of the 75k ring that I photographed. I bought this adapter to have some fun with my fine art work and it was put to work immediately to pay the bills. Works both ways.

never come across that before, intresting idea

Hm, interesting idea, but I wonder how you focus the lens with this. Focus on the GG will not do because the (D)SLR film plane is way back, so you either use the view finder of the SLR or focus on the GG and the adjust by the exact amount that the film planes differ. Not the nicest way, but one could build a box with GG that is as far as the film plane of the SLR and focus on it. I think I saw such a thing somewhere but don't remember where...

Regards, Stefan

I think you would focus and adjust all movements on the groundglass, attach the back, then refocus on the rear standard with the D/SLR attached without changing any of the other movements.

Take a look at www.camerafusion.com ... they have a similar product, at least I think it is similar from what I have read above. I have seen the camera fusion product tested and it does produce excellent results. I want to test one myself before making any final comments and critique. Initialk impressions were very favorable and I compared 16x20 prints side-by-side from 22 stitched images from their back to the same image/same lens shot on Velvia. It was a macro jewelry shot. The resolution of the Velvia was slightly better but the shadow detail of the final digital image was slightly better. More to follow but I won't get to any detailed testing until sometime in July.