Thread: Information about Seneca Camera Manufacturing?

Information about Seneca Camera Manufacturing?

Ok, not sure where to post this - sorry if it needs moving...

In case anyone's missed it, I'm rehabbing a Seneca Competitor 5x7 wooden field camera. Call it first-timer's glee or something, but I'm completely taken with this camera. I'm also finding myself wondering more about it, and the company.

According to this site, I've got one of the "Variation 2" Competitors with nickeled brass hardware. Counter to what the fiberq site says, though, this one is marked by Seneca, which makes me believe it truly is a Seneca:

That last little tag, though (which is in bodaciously tiny print, BTW), makes me wonder. I've googled "Bastian Brothers Rochester NY" and gotten a lot of stuff about numismatic societies and class pins, but nothing about cameras. I'd have thought there'd be something out there about the link.

Also, my camera has a "13" stamped in both the front rails and the rear rails. Serial number? Can't find anything about model numbers, other than the names.

FWIW, the camera is coming along wonderfully. Going to be a true looker when it's done, ready to go another 100 years. Regluing joints, stripping and reapplying lacquer, replacing some wood (which is going to get stained with alkanet root dye). The nickel is in great shape and looks fine against the mahogany-stained birch. And the only hickup in its operation, a little misstep when the gears hit a certain spot on the gear rack, seems to be caused by a mounting nail that's worked its way up a little.

Anyway, thanks for listening to the ramblings. Anyone has any info on this camera or this company, I'd be interested in hearing from ya.

Scott

Re: Information about Seneca Camera Manufacturing?

"Also, my camera has a "13" stamped in both the front rails and the rear rails. Serial number? Can't find anything about model numbers, other than the names."

I know nothing about Senecas. However, I know that Kodak 2Ds of roughly the same vintage had a number stamped on the detachable rear rail and the same number stamped on the camera body (at the point where the rail attached to the camera body). The idea was to give the buyer assurance that his or her rail was the one matched to the body at the time of manufacture. Maybe the "13" is something like that. Just a guess.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

It is possible that Bastion Brothers was the printer of the label.

Gene, you're right- Bastian Brothers was a Rochester firm that made enameled badges (cloisonne?). Their building was right behind the old baseball stadium, so I went by there hundreds of times in my younger days. Dr. Rudolf Kingslake (of EK optics fame) wrote a small book called "The History of Photographic Manufacturing in Rochester, NY" or something similar, which goes into great detail about a very complex story. I've lost my copy but I'm sure it's available from the Georege Eastman House bookstore.

Great information. Thanks, Mark. I knew someone'd know about that.

StayAtHome Dad & Photog

Scott,

if you haven't already seen this:
    http://www.nwmangum.com/Kodak/Rochester.html

The same article is also at: http://www.graflex.org/articles/kingslake/

William
    4x5 and a Tessar is heaven
    "I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies..." Green Day

Thanks, William. I hadn't seen that. Great page!

Found a finished auction on eBay today - there was a picture of the numbering on the bottom rail:

This one's "8". Really makes me wonder. Also makes me wish I'd seen that auction...