Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Artixscan 2500F

Doug Dolde

Artixscan 2500F

I received a new/used 2500F yesterday. It appears to be in perfect condition with all accessories, software, manual etc intact. However I am having a problem. Neither the Microtek software (latest download) nor Silverfast can find the scanner.

I have it connected with a Firewire cable and the computer does "see" the scanner in the Device Manager (Windows XP). But the software can't find it. Any clues ? Nothing else seems to be wrong. All the lights come on and it cycles making some noises (normal I think) on startup.

Re: Artixscan 2500F

I have a 2500F, and with Windows, I need to reboot the computer in order for it to discover the scanner. Have you tried that ? It's best to plug everything in, turn on the scanner... and then restart Windows.

An alternative is to make sure that your Firewire board is correctly installed and functioning properly.

Doug Dolde

Tried that quite a few times. The Firewire card works with other items OK.

Did you contact the person from whom you got the scanner ? Are you sure that the scanner is in good working order ?

Another option is to try the scanner on a different computer, and also to try another brand of scanner software, like VueScan.

Are you trying to drive the scanner from within Photoshop, or some other program ?

I have found scanners are finicky. I have a 2500f, as well as other firewire scanners. I plug the scanner into a firewire port directly. Do not daisy-chain with any other device such as external hard drive, or external disc burner. I find the Silverfast software works best for me. I have a Mac.

Try it with a different PC. I have one Thinkpad that refuses to work with a Nikon LS4000ED. All other machines I have work with this scanner like charm except for that cursed one.

Another thing to check: I have a Microtek i800, and it takes a long time to advance through its warmup and self-check to the point where the software can recognize that it's there. I've gotten in the habit of turning on the scanner well in advance, while I'm working on other things, so that it will be ready when I want to scan. Also, I don't load the software until after the scanner has settled down.

Have you tried manually to install it by going through the hardware wizard and pointing it specifically to the correct driver? It is sometimes the only way. Also, if it was semi-recognized by XP, sometimes the only thing you can do is delete it from your Device Manager, then reboot and let XP find it again. Windows can still be pretty picky about the order in which things are done, so you may have to try re-ordering the steps until you find the right combo.

Good Luck.

Download the free trial of Vuescan and see if it can find it. Let it install its generic scanner driver.

Doug Dolde

Thanks for all the advice. I am still trying...hope I can get it solved as it appears to be a great machine. (Vuescan can't find it either)

Tried the SCSI route...same thing. Must be the wrong driver there are about 5 choices,