Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Infuriated by bad film holders!

Infuriated by bad film holders!

Just about everyone makes mistakes when they get into large format, so don't be discouraged. It will all feel worth it when you print your first good negatives.

First, read the page on film loading, which gives very clear step-by-step instructions at:

http://HTTP.CS.Berkeley.EDU/~qtluong/photography/lf/loading.html

As everyone is saying, the whole process must be done in total darkness--no safelight. Take some of your black sheets of film and practice before trying with fresh film. Be sure the emulsion side of the film is facing out.

Next, be sure you've got the sequence correct when you take your pictures:

1. Set up and compose the image, focus, determine exposure and set the aperture and shutter speed. 2. Close the shutter. 3. Insert the film holder. 4. If the shutter needs to be cocked manually before firing, cock the shutter. If you have a self-cocking shutter, move on to the next step. 5. NOW remove the darkslide. Be sure it's the one between the film and the lens. 6. Fire the shutter. 7. Put the darkslide back in. 8. Remove the filmholder.

Now you're back in the darkroom. Again you need to remove the film from the holders and develop the film in total darkness (well, you could use a very dim blue-green safelight, but it is so dim, it's not really worth it). If you are using a daylight tank, you can turn on the lights when the film is loaded. If you are using trays, you need to do the whole process in the dark, without a safelight.

Be patient and check everything twice. You'll get the hang of it.

Well, I'll admit that it doesn't sound quite right, but I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Heck, I started doing LF about 2 years ago at age 16 when I built a 4x5, and here I am today about to start restoring a Deardorff 8x10. Unlikely though it sounds, I suppose a 13 year old with an Ebony is entirely possible. You never know, we may soon have two teenagers posting here!

Just a thought...

I started with LF when I was 14 (in those days of yesteryear it was much cheaper than 35mm). If he had said Cadet or Toyo none of us would have batted an eye, and (judging by the cars some of them drive) there are kids out there with the kind of money to buy an Ebony. Better to have egg on our faces than to slam the door on a struggling student. Now, let's see if he 'fesses up, or comes up with another story leaving us wondering...maybe yes, maybe no.

This has got to be a wind-up. If it's not my sincere apologies Jonny and just pop in the 45 film holder, close lens shutter, set f-stop, shutter, pull dark slide, trip shutter, replace dark slide.

Wow, I ask for a little help and everyone thinks I am not really me.

Thanks for all teh advice. I forgot that my red lite would expose the films. Boy, can I be a dork! An yes, I know that the plastic pull out slide is taken out after the holder is in the back piece.

I took a picture this morning of my moms shoes. I loaded the film in my laundry room and guess what? It worked. I processed it in D76 and and I actually got a negative. Thanks all.

As far as Richard goes, I hope you guys were a bit easier on him. Oh, yeah, I did not go back to teh store because I do not drive, and my class was over in June. So I had no one to turn to except you guys here.

The Ebony was used and I bought it with money from birthdays, my lawn jobs, and my trade in. Is it a good camera? It came with 3 film holders and a lens. It is a bit scratched up but it works now that I know how to put the film in. I still can't believe I was that dumb.

Your friend, Jonny

Jon,

sometimes it is very difficult for some one new to the sport to trace a problem like this. My best advice would be to get in touch with some one who shots large format regularly. He will have this problem solved in a flash. Better yet, attend a workshop where your entire technique can be horned.

Jon,

The Ebony will work fine for what you're using it for. If you stick with large format photography, your needs will develop with your style. Since I don't know what lens you bought, all I can say is that if you're getting what you want & you're happy with it, then it's a good buy. Don't fully give up on 35mm photography. I too started into large format & completely chucked the 35mm system. I bought another seveeral years later when I wanted the spontaniety that it provides. I started with an Arca Swiss basic B and a Congo 180mm lens. I still have that setup (and then some), but I also use 645 medilum format & 35mm.

Enjoy your "new" gear & learn what you can. You've started a great jorney.

~Ted

Get a film loading tent like a Harrison & Harrison or a Photoflex. With the Harr ison you can load film in bright daylight. With the Photoflex you'll need subdued light. Also get a Polaroid 545i back and some Polaroid type 55 or Pro100 film.

Gee, Jonny, for a minute there I thought we'd all just been hoodwinked....bamboozled!

hey Sergio, I understand but what doe bamboozled mean?

The lens that the camera came with is a Schnider 210 Symmar. The dealer said he did not know anything about large format cameras or lenses. Some other guy traded it in, but he thought it would be ok for me. Do you guys think it is ok?

Jonny A.