Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Photographer Edward Weston question

Re: The Photographer Edward Weston question

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls View Post
    Were you aware you can now order custom-printed stamps with any image you like on them? There are certain guidelines to prevent the stamps being offensive or being used as political statements, but those shouldn't affect a simple facial portrait like that one.
    No I didn't. Feel free to use my image if you want.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Actually, I was thinking you might enjoy getting some stamps printed with your image (though they won't look like your design -- they have a fairly ugly opscan block in them so the USPS machinery can recognize them as legitimate regardless of the image).
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Merg if anyone knew I should have bet it would be you. Jon you are right about his condition, imagine having 10 more years to progress with it. Some day I hope there will be cure for that and other diseases. It doesn't diminish my view of him, in fact I give him a lot of credit for making the film given his situation. I hope future generations can view the film and get a glimpse of a master at work. After reading the daybooks again after many years and looking and reading about the Mexican Revolution and the times these people lived in just makes me appreciate them all the more.

The Brett Weston film by Art Wright is also very good and Merg is in it. Ansel Adams has a couple of films. Does anyone know of any other films made on photographers.

tr

I do own "Brett Weston: Photographer" I also first saw a 16mm print of this in film school. I bought a copy a couple of years ago when they were remastered onto DVD. IMO its a good film and the extras (particularly all of the work from the BW archives) are great.

Mike

I do own "Brett Weston: Photographer" I also first saw a 16mm print of this in film school. I bought a copy a couple of years ago when they were remastered onto DVD. IMO its a good film and the extras (particularly all of the work from the BW archives) are great.
    I couldn't agree more, the extensive extra photograph library is well worth the cost alone.

Yes, Turner, I seem to have answers to some of the Weston trivia. I am part of a diminishing group of persons who actually knew Edward.

On Thursday I will be viewing the San Francisco premiere of "Eloquent Nude", a film on the relationship of Edward and Charis. I have heard that the actors do a good job in their portrayals.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Yes, Turner, I seem to have answers to some of the Weston trivia. I am part of a diminishing group of persons who actually knew Edward.

On Thursday I will be viewing the San Francisco premiere of "Eloquent Nude", a film on the relationship of Edward and Charis. I have heard that the actors do a good job in their portrayals.
    I had heard that this was in production some time ago. I never knew that it had been completed, however. Hopefully it will be both a good portrayal and a joy to watch.

Mike Davis

Turner Reich, thanks for mentioning the DVD. I just ordered it on Ebay and look forward to viewing it. I have the Brett Weston DVD too and liked it.

--John

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Merg, have you given any thought to writing an article, small or large book, or anything about your life and acquaintances with Mr. Weston and others? A lot of people like me search tirelessly for small pieces of information in order to connect the dots and see a larger picture of what their lives were like.

I am assuming that you haven't written anything of course. I am very happy that you are willing to reply here.

John, I am so glad you are getting the movie, he doesn't speak in the movie and that's a shame but he is seen going about what he did best and the narration is very good also. All in all it's a nice piece of history and I treasure mine.

Best Regards

Turner, the answer is no. I have never considered writing about my life and times with famous photographers. What purpose would it serve? Who would really care to hear who I have known and my times with them?

I was recalling last evening that I was with Brett in Berkeley the morning that his father died. In fact, I was the first person he told after his phone conversation with Chandler. A morning, and event that I clearly remember, but of what importance to others?

My passion is for photography, the next negative, the next print. I will leave the writing for others.

As to Edward not speaking in the movie, and I have seen other comments on this point, there was a reason. At his stage with Parkinson's, speech was difficult. When I was with him in the early 1950's, his voice was a whisper.