Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A niftly little find at Office Depot

Thumbs up A niftly little find at Office Depot

Okay, so it won't be for everybody, but I thought it was neat enough to share...

I was strolling through Office Depot and came across a hard-sided portable file box made by Vaultz. It appeared to me an almost ideal size for 8x10 holders... It is made from some type of high-tech thermal-plastic with aluminum corners and is textured on the outside. It has a hinged top with a bead-seal that should keep out dust and provide a mild barrier to guard against the occasional splash.

Heck, a picture is worth 1000 words... Here it is with a dozen holders and three boxes of film. It will comfortably hold 15 holders stored in the padded envelopes (I keep my individual holders in bubble-padded mailing envelopes as shown) or probably 20 if they're naked:

There are some obvious downsides... First it costs $40. Next, it is black in color -- I would have preferred white for heat. Third, it is not particularly lightweight -- however I got it primarily for storage and vehicle transport and don't plan on carrying it very far; 15 or 20 loaded holders are not all that light to begin with.

It does have inner rails for pendaflex folders, so one could conceivably use them to store and/or separate individual holders. Office Depot also has similar-sized lighter-weight translucent plastic boxes that cost about half the Vaultz. I personally rejected these because they were translucent. Call me old-fashioned or over-paranoid, but I prefer to store my holders in reasonably light-tight containers. For those of you not concerned with that, the plastic versions present another attractive option. There is one more minor nicety to this case -- the inside is lined with a fuzzy poly material, and male Velcro sticks to it A square of Velcro on my favorite pen and pencil stores them conveniently at the ready on the inside of the lid.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Re: A niftly little find at Office Depot

Nice find Jack. I wonder if they would have something like this that would work for 4x5. I'll have to go look.

Hi Rob:

This unit is legal folder wide by letter folder deep and whatever height they need to accomodate those. Vaultz makes a smaller version that is letter folder wide by about 6" deep and the same height. I suspect you could get maybe 2 rows of 8 holders side-by-side, but the case would be taller than desireable for easy access. This case would however be pretty nifty for storing readyloads. I imagine you could get about 8 packets (2 rows of 4) of Ready/Quick loads if you first removed the packets from the boxes.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

There is always white spray paint.

The box is cool, but I'm really interested in your idea of storing the film holders in bubble wrap envelopes. Thats a great idea!

I'll have to drop by and look. Thanks for the heads up, Jack. These look like an ideal way to carry loaded holders.

Yeah, that's a good find. Thanks for passing it along.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    There is always white spray paint.
    Indeed... But I am going to use it as-is this weekend and see how hot it really gets in stock trim. I'll report back
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Quote Originally Posted by David Louis View Post
    The box is cool, but I'm really interested in your idea of storing the film holders in bubble wrap envelopes. Thats a great idea!
    Yes, they are almost a perfect fit too -- I trim off about about an inch of the envelope at the flap end. They weigh next to nothing, provide a bit of padding and do a great job of keeping the holder free of dust. Note that there also all plastic bubble envelopes -- I tried those first but found they static'd up and attracted dust like a magnet. These paper ones with bubble interiors don't seem to be similarly afflicted.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

I recently used some Rust Oleum aluminum colored paint and found it to be very reflective. A pint was $3.99