Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MS Vista or XP

Re: MS Vista or XP

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    You know, I'm happy that you're happy with what you have. I'm even happier that I don't have to have that too...

But that's beside the point here, I'm afraid. We seem to differ so much that there's not much point keeping up with this. And besides, we've already gone way OT here anyway, so let's call it a day.
    Works for me. And who knows... maybe in another few years, we'll all be using Linux anyway

I keep reading of various problems with both Vista and Photoshop CS3 in other photography forums. I wouldn't get either right now. But a couple friends have had a lot of trouble even finding a computer that isn't loaded with Vista.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Sorry, in deference to the Macophiles here I shouldn't have said "trouble even finding a computer that isn't locaded with Vista." I should have said "trouble even finding a PC that isn't loaded with Vista."
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

You could always buy a vista pc and install xp later or have a dual boot. You could do the same on a new mac with a couple of OSs. I'm using vista on a pc and prefer it to using macs. Vista is really amazing and is almost in league with the latest fine tuned versions of xp. I have however had trouble with raw thumbnails, I'm sure this will be fixed soon as the codecs arrived a lot faster then I had anticipated in the first place.

Vista should out perform xp on identical machines due to it's new memory management and the way it works with the cpu. All available ram is used to deliver the best performance whatever program is operating.

The security and backup/restore features are very good in vista, the search features are very good and the folder explorer works better then xp and mac with options to choose from many thumbnail sizes and previews.

If you use an independent raw explorer like lightroom then I would suggest vista but if you rely on integrated raw support then stick with xp but this depends on your use of raw. The nikon raw codec is the only problem I have had. Any clash of compatibility seams to be fixed with a quick switch of the aero theme to the normal theme, nothing at all a problem.